- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Today 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Today 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Today 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Today 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Today 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Today 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
“Haha, just kidding … Unless?” is a meme format overtaking Twitter with its “I’m down if you are” mentality.
The actual formatting of the meme lends itself extremely well to Twitter given your ability to post separate photos in the same tweet. In the first image, a character of the poster’s choice will propose a situation but rebuke it themselves as just a hypothetical. The second image will have that same character with a different expression implying that the “just kidding” was nothing but a social safety net. The meme continues the trend of hypothetical flirting exhibited by the “What if we kissed in” meme that had people suggesting smooches in the wildest of locations.
The meme format has since evolved into a number of different variations but has its roots in Minecraft. In its original form, the meme in its entirety was “What if I… put my Minecraft bed… next to yours … Aha ha, just kidding… Unless…?”
It seems like the sentiment of the “Runescape girlfriend” is still alive and well.
what if I... put my Minecraft bed... next to yours .. aha ha, just kidding.. unless..?— ً (@indeprive) June 28, 2019
Now, the meme has taken on a complete life of its own and the examples are vast.
what if.. I put my..— Pikachu stole all my fruit and called me a bitch (@FizzySodaWave) July 2, 2019
next to yours..
kidding... unless..? pic.twitter.com/NIsQ95PRQc
what if.. I put my..— shannondorf (@shannondorf_) July 1, 2019
next to yours..
kidding... unless..? pic.twitter.com/ZwqbRI990e
what if.. i were to..— murray (@LZRS_87) July 1, 2019
to purchase fast food..
and disguise it..
as my own cooking...
kidding... unless..? pic.twitter.com/P3Ri2JYHf5
what if we ... commit ..— snap ⚡︎ (@RElTAKA) July 3, 2019
tax fraud together ....
kidding ... ... unless? pic.twitter.com/mMHUBuwIir
The meme, in its geek culture-tinged form, seems to have peaked. The sentiment, however, is universal.
- People are really sexualizing Alcremie, the new Pokémon made of cream
- People are licking ice cream and then putting it back on the shelf for this viral challenge
- Humans taunt their dogs with ‘Invisible Challenge’
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.