- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
An early frontrunner for best meme of January ’17 is “Lamb Sauce Located,” a series of variations on the theme of TV chef Gordon Ramsay searching for the lamb sauce. Why? It all goes back to a 2006 clip from his show, Hell’s Kitchen.
In the scene, Ramsay is pissed because he’s Gordon Ramsay, but also because his chefs are not working as a bloody team, mate, and WHERE’S THE LAMB SAUCE?!
All you need is a pic of Ramsay (preferably one with glowing eyes) and a joke about trying to find the lamb sauce. Here’s an Increasingly Verbose meme that sums it up:
Lamb Sauce plays extremely well with other memes because it’s not just a single image; it’s an entire narrative with a protagonist and motivation. Ramsay really wants that damned lamb sauce.
For example, here’s a mashup of Lamb Sauce with Ok Bye Mom, the meme about a kid who sneaks onto Google as soon as his mom leaves the house:
And here’s one with the “when your teacher thinks you’re trying to study” meme:
Let’s try it with the “Sweet Jesus, Pooh! That’s not honey” meme:
This meme is so easy, even Pepe can do it:
These are all perfect examples of Lamb Sauce, but one needn’t rely on other memes to make the Ramsay joke work. Something like this will do just fine:
It’s not entirely clear where the resurgence of the Ramsay/Lamb Sauce theme came from. I couldn’t find the original source of the canonical lamb sauce Located meme, the one with the glowing eyes, but Reddit’s r/dankmemes would be a fair guess; that community has done the most to push Lamb Sauce forward so far.
There seems to be a strong consensus that this meme is extremely dank, superior to forced memes like John Lemon (ugh) and old memes like Business Cat:
Look for this meme to keep going strong throughout January, and for people to incorporate it into any new meme formats that show up throughout the month. Or until Ramsey finally finds his lamb sauce.
Update, 1/5/17: Ramsay himself is aware of the meme, and he has confirmed that the lamb sauce is still missing.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.