- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
Chef Gordon Ramsay, trying to locate the lamb sauce, becomes a dank meme
Lamb Sauce: Located
An early frontrunner for best meme of January ’17 is “Lamb Sauce Located,” a series of variations on the theme of TV chef Gordon Ramsay searching for the lamb sauce. Why? It all goes back to a 2006 clip from his show, Hell’s Kitchen.
In the scene, Ramsay is pissed because he’s Gordon Ramsay, but also because his chefs are not working as a bloody team, mate, and WHERE’S THE LAMB SAUCE?!
All you need is a pic of Ramsay (preferably one with glowing eyes) and a joke about trying to find the lamb sauce. Here’s an Increasingly Verbose meme that sums it up:
Lamb Sauce plays extremely well with other memes because it’s not just a single image; it’s an entire narrative with a protagonist and motivation. Ramsay really wants that damned lamb sauce.
For example, here’s a mashup of Lamb Sauce with Ok Bye Mom, the meme about a kid who sneaks onto Google as soon as his mom leaves the house:
And here’s one with the “when your teacher thinks you’re trying to study” meme:
Let’s try it with the “Sweet Jesus, Pooh! That’s not honey” meme:
This meme is so easy, even Pepe can do it:
These are all perfect examples of Lamb Sauce, but one needn’t rely on other memes to make the Ramsay joke work. Something like this will do just fine:
It’s not entirely clear where the resurgence of the Ramsay/Lamb Sauce theme came from. I couldn’t find the original source of the canonical lamb sauce Located meme, the one with the glowing eyes, but Reddit’s r/dankmemes would be a fair guess; that community has done the most to push Lamb Sauce forward so far.
There seems to be a strong consensus that this meme is extremely dank, superior to forced memes like John Lemon (ugh) and old memes like Business Cat:
Look for this meme to keep going strong throughout January, and for people to incorporate it into any new meme formats that show up throughout the month. Or until Ramsey finally finds his lamb sauce.
Update, 1/5/17: Ramsay himself is aware of the meme, and he has confirmed that the lamb sauce is still missing.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.