- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler 3 Years Ago
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return 3 Years Ago
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show 3 Years Ago
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Today 11:32 AM
- Cop under investigation after implying Ocasio-Cortez should be shot Today 11:07 AM
- The ‘Big Little Lies’ finale sucked—but at least we have Renata Today 11:01 AM
- Wendy Davis announces she’s running for Congress Today 10:45 AM
- Please stop being horny on main for #IceBae and other horrible people Today 10:02 AM
- Illinois Republicans share ‘jihad squad’ meme of 4 Dem congresswomen Today 9:05 AM
- How a deepfake gets made Today 8:25 AM
- How to watch ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 online Today 8:21 AM
- The MCU’s Phase 4 is all about Marvel getting weird Today 7:07 AM
- How alt porn site SuicideGirls gets women to pose naked for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why did the GOP launch a website hyping socialist candidates? Today 6:30 AM
- The macrophilia and size-change fetish communities are made possible through the magic of the internet Today 6:00 AM
Chef Gordon Ramsay, trying to locate the lamb sauce, becomes a dank meme
Lamb Sauce: Located
An early frontrunner for best meme of January ’17 is “Lamb Sauce Located,” a series of variations on the theme of TV chef Gordon Ramsay searching for the lamb sauce. Why? It all goes back to a 2006 clip from his show, Hell’s Kitchen.
In the scene, Ramsay is pissed because he’s Gordon Ramsay, but also because his chefs are not working as a bloody team, mate, and WHERE’S THE LAMB SAUCE?!
All you need is a pic of Ramsay (preferably one with glowing eyes) and a joke about trying to find the lamb sauce. Here’s an Increasingly Verbose meme that sums it up:
Lamb Sauce plays extremely well with other memes because it’s not just a single image; it’s an entire narrative with a protagonist and motivation. Ramsay really wants that damned lamb sauce.
For example, here’s a mashup of Lamb Sauce with Ok Bye Mom, the meme about a kid who sneaks onto Google as soon as his mom leaves the house:
And here’s one with the “when your teacher thinks you’re trying to study” meme:
Let’s try it with the “Sweet Jesus, Pooh! That’s not honey” meme:
This meme is so easy, even Pepe can do it:
These are all perfect examples of Lamb Sauce, but one needn’t rely on other memes to make the Ramsay joke work. Something like this will do just fine:
It’s not entirely clear where the resurgence of the Ramsay/Lamb Sauce theme came from. I couldn’t find the original source of the canonical lamb sauce Located meme, the one with the glowing eyes, but Reddit’s r/dankmemes would be a fair guess; that community has done the most to push Lamb Sauce forward so far.
There seems to be a strong consensus that this meme is extremely dank, superior to forced memes like John Lemon (ugh) and old memes like Business Cat:
Look for this meme to keep going strong throughout January, and for people to incorporate it into any new meme formats that show up throughout the month. Or until Ramsey finally finds his lamb sauce.
Update, 1/5/17: Ramsay himself is aware of the meme, and he has confirmed that the lamb sauce is still missing.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.