A Twitter post has inspired users to share their five most random or interesting jobs, from chemical hazardous waste removal tech to working the line at Golden Corral. But as the meme post got more popular, things started taking a bizarre turn.
The “five jobs” meme all began normal enough. Twitter user @spideypencil posted five jobs they have held, including a middle school teacher, auto insurance salesperson, and a registered nurse.
5 jobs I've had?— Drewster RN, BSN (@spideypencil) April 22, 2019
1)Jr High Science Teacher
2)Chemical Hazardous Waste Removal tech
Tagging 5 people @OyeKaren17 @FigmentsFancies @OnceBittenBella @kelbellx0 @dateswhitecoats
People jumped in to earnestly share their own personal career journey, which besides a few odd jobs, all seemed pretty regular.
5 jobs i’ve had:— Jess Conte (@jessconte) April 24, 2019
1) customer service at a pizza store
2) before & after school care teacher
3) graphic designer for a winery
5) owner of harper & willow
5 Jobs I’ve Had:— Safiya Nygaard (@safiyajn) April 24, 2019
- Hollister Sales Associate (also A&F for one semester, but it’s mostly the same) 👖
- ACT Tutor 📚
- Shakespeare Camp Counselor 🧙🏼♀️
- Production Assistant ☕️
- Writing Script Coverage (I know that’s not the format but “Script Coverage Writer” seemed off) 💻 https://t.co/coZtT3eHdv
5 jobs I've had:— Emily Graslie 🌸🐝 (@Ehmee) April 24, 2019
1. Children's theatre actor
2. Chocolate/candy store employee
3. Bagel slinger/prep chef
4. Convenience stork clerk/barista
5. Museum specimen preparator
aka the basis for my origin story https://t.co/Td9paNNclU
5 Jobs I’ve had— lauren ✄ (@laurDIY) April 24, 2019
1. Icecream Scooper
2. Piano/Guitar Kids Teacher
3. Grocery Store Cashier
4. Restaurant Server
5. Social Media Intern https://t.co/bq2iRBxk3j
5 jobs I’ve had:— Keren Swanson (@kerenswan) April 24, 2019
- varsity shop
- convention center events
- Khoas restaurant
- receptionist at medical office
- SAHM / youtuber https://t.co/1xg60flmMr
But as the “5 jobs” post got more popular, it became increasingly used for jokes and inane responses.
5 jobs I’ve had— Ali H 🙈 (@The_AliH) April 24, 2019
1. Tim Hortons hortoner
2. Gas station gasser
3. Porn star
4. Best Buy bester
5. YouTuber https://t.co/m0P9lIBDhg
For example, Samantha Irby proved that yes, you can turn a hoe into a housewife. Thank you, Samantha.
A Twitter account parodying the Irish border got in on the action.
Five jobs I’ve had:— The Irish Border (@BorderIrish) April 24, 2019
1. Series of county boundaries
2. Temporary gerrymandered border
3. Long-term gerrymandered border
4. Semi-retired border
5. Brexit thwarter https://t.co/A1sroI1KwO
And this person took inspiration from a Steve Miller Band song for his career path.
Ross O’Donovan may or may not have trolled Twitter with their five jobs list.
Five jobs I've had:— Ross O'Donovan (@RubberNinja) April 24, 2019
1. Hungry Jack's fry cook.
2. Warehouse worker.
3. Freelance animator
4. Animation teacher
5. Professional troll https://t.co/Y0GM2eoDyW
And this person may have been inspired by Meredith Brooks’ song “Bitch.”
Five jobs I’ve had:— Andy Mientus (@andymientus) April 24, 2019
A rundown of different sexual “jobs” was a reoccurring joke from the more provocative corner of Twitter.
The rude version of this would be to say:— Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) April 24, 2019
but I'm not rude, I'm a very good boy, I'd never tweet such filth, and you can thank me for that pic.twitter.com/wzmsgoGyND
But the stand-out employee was this very good boy who has probably excelled at every job he’s ever held.
Five jobs my dog has had— 🤷🏻♂️ Neil Brennan 🤷🏻♂️ (@nrdbrennan) April 24, 2019
- barking at cyclists
- barking at dog walkers
- barking at vets
- barking at me
- strategic partnerships manager pic.twitter.com/OpXy3To4g8