- Mom calls cops on son who can’t get ready for school on time Tuesday 11:19 PM
- Tinder exec fired after involvement in lawsuit alleging sexual assault Tuesday 10:48 PM
- Woman matches on Tinder with LaCroix thief—and his victim Tuesday 7:38 PM
- U.K. police will have to disclose documents about WikiLeaks journalists Tuesday 6:37 PM
- Backpack Kid sues Fortnite developer over flossing emote Tuesday 5:38 PM
- Conservatives rage at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘week of self-care’ Tuesday 4:02 PM
- 2 inflatable snowmen fought in front of a combo KFC/Taco Bell Tuesday 2:47 PM
- How to watch the Boca Raton Bowl online for free Tuesday 2:43 PM
- DAZN KOs YouTube, Snapchat as (temporarily) the most downloaded app Tuesday 1:57 PM
- AT&T says it’s rolling out 5G service this week Tuesday 1:03 PM
- NY state senator tells woman staffer ‘Kill yourself!’ in a tweet Tuesday 12:54 PM
- This Lil Jon-Kool-Aid Man Christmas jam is as extra as you’d expect Tuesday 12:13 PM
- YouTube stars say unfair copyright claims are making their lives hell Tuesday 12:12 PM
- UPS deletes tweet about shredding letters to North Pole after huge backlash Tuesday 11:21 AM
- Viral petition leads to revised Holland Tunnel Christmas decor Tuesday 11:10 AM
The ‘firing a gun at the sun’ meme is the best way to point out a futile gesture
Firing a gun at the sun is a dangerous and futile gesture, but this meme is still pretty funny.
This July has been a hot one in the ol’ northern hemisphere. Things have cooled off a bit recently, but the first few weeks were brutal. People and animals have been coming up with some pretty creative ways to stay cool. Take for instance the bear who decided to crash someone’s unheated hot tub and drink a margarita.
But things got a bit extreme on July 4 when a man who goes by @JacobxMcClain on Twitter posted a picture of himself pointing a handgun at the sun, along with the caption “I’ve had enough”.
I’ve had enough pic.twitter.com/ih7SUMLwJ2
— JacobxMcClain (@JacobxMcClain) July 4, 2018
Sure, handguns are not toys, and looking directly into the sun is not good for your eyeballs, but that doesn’t mean the picture isn’t funny. Since it was first posted, the tweet has garnered over 500,000 likes over 200,000 retweets and kicked off a new “firing a gun at the sun” meme.
On July 6t, Instagram user cinematographymemes posted a version of the photo where the original background was replaced by a beautiful sunset, along with the caption “when the magic hour is almost over but you haven’t finished yet”—a reference to the short window of time treasured by filmmakers, right before sunset or right after sunrise, when the light is soft and warm.
A post shared by Cinematography Memes (@cinematographymemes) on
Now people are having a great time relabeling the gun and the sun to make various statements. On July 18, reddit user bad_knight_templar posted a rather cynical version to the r/MemeEconomy subreddit. The picture labels the sun as the “American political establishment” and the gun as “tweets using a hashtag”.
“This has potential,” they added, “alot [sic] of it”.
Although many preferred the squirt gun version, created by a company called RIPNDIP back on July 7. RIPNDIP seems to mainly sell clothing and shoes, but they also sell a few other items, including the blue squirt gun they used to imitate @JacobxMcClain’s photo.
One person even created an alternative versions of the alternative meme.
This is the perfect meme to use to point out a futile gesture, whether it be someone else’s or your own. Like the “Distracted Boyfriend” meme, it’s an object labeling meme. But in this case, you only have two instead of three “characters” to label.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.