- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
Elon Musk just hired the creator of the “absolute unit” sheep meme to be Tesla’s social media manager.
So I have more news:— Adam Koszary (@AdamKoszary) May 21, 2019
I'm no longer moving to the Royal Academy.
Instead, I'll be Tesla's Social Media Manager from July.
In April, the Tesla CEO briefly changed his Twitter avatar to a photo of a sheep. The Museum of English Rural Life then changed its own avatar to a photo of Musk.
The two accounts fully committed to the swap. Musk changed his bio to “absolute unit” at the time. The museum also changed its name to “The Muskeum of Elonglish Rural Life,” a reference to another meme about Musk.
Switched souls with The Museum of English Rural Lofe https://t.co/X41ZWc9sip— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
Adam Koszary first tweeted out the ram photo and referenced a meme on the museum’s Twitter account in 2018.
look at this absolute unit. pic.twitter.com/LzcQ4x0q38— The Museum of English Rural Life (@TheMERL) April 9, 2018
Koszary was referring to the “absolute unit” meme, which was born on Twitter in 2017. A Twitter user posted a photo of hotel manager David Morgan-Hewitt next to Queen Elizabeth.
“In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit,” the user wrote at the time.
in awe at the size of this lad. absolute unit pic.twitter.com/tbetPbQ1ew— IPA fan (@mrreptoid) December 13, 2017
The meme, which references anything large and impressive, took off from there.
The MIT Technology Review posted a photo of “the world’s biggest airplane,” Stratolaunch, calling it an “absolute unit.”
Look at the size of this absolute unit. https://t.co/4Fj2n6rNQl— MIT Technology Review (@techreview) April 17, 2019
Musk’s SpaceX once had a partnership with the company behind Stratolaunch regarding the plane.
Musk responded to the MIT Technology Review’s tweet by writing, “I’m an absolute unit too,” with a photo of the ram from the museum’s initial post.
I’m an absolute unit too pic.twitter.com/Rf0BTJmeEN— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 17, 2019
After a nudge from his Twitter followers, Musk then changed his photo to the ram.
The two accounts not only swapped avatars but a series of jokes as well.
“Wake up sheeple!” - sheep— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
Like thug, but rural— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
We dreamed them— The Museum of English Rural Life (@TheMERL) April 17, 2019
You can fire the winner into space— The Museum of English Rural Life (@TheMERL) April 18, 2019
Now Koszary will continue to enhance memes at the memelord’s company in July.
My Twitter is pretty much complete nonsense at this point— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
The Daily Dot has reached out to Adam Koszary.
- Elon Musk is a giggling baby in the latest terrifying deepfake
- SEC, Elon Musk agree to terms for Tesla CEO’s Twitter use
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter
- Elon Musk pivots to memelord
H/T The Guardian
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.