- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
Elon Musk just hired the creator of the “absolute unit” sheep meme to be Tesla’s social media manager.
So I have more news:— Adam Koszary (@AdamKoszary) May 21, 2019
I'm no longer moving to the Royal Academy.
Instead, I'll be Tesla's Social Media Manager from July.
In April, the Tesla CEO briefly changed his Twitter avatar to a photo of a sheep. The Museum of English Rural Life then changed its own avatar to a photo of Musk.
The two accounts fully committed to the swap. Musk changed his bio to “absolute unit” at the time. The museum also changed its name to “The Muskeum of Elonglish Rural Life,” a reference to another meme about Musk.
Switched souls with The Museum of English Rural Lofe https://t.co/X41ZWc9sip— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
Adam Koszary first tweeted out the ram photo and referenced a meme on the museum’s Twitter account in 2018.
look at this absolute unit. pic.twitter.com/LzcQ4x0q38— The Museum of English Rural Life (@TheMERL) April 9, 2018
Koszary was referring to the “absolute unit” meme, which was born on Twitter in 2017. A Twitter user posted a photo of hotel manager David Morgan-Hewitt next to Queen Elizabeth.
“In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit,” the user wrote at the time.
in awe at the size of this lad. absolute unit pic.twitter.com/tbetPbQ1ew— IPA fan (@mrreptoid) December 13, 2017
The meme, which references anything large and impressive, took off from there.
The MIT Technology Review posted a photo of “the world’s biggest airplane,” Stratolaunch, calling it an “absolute unit.”
Look at the size of this absolute unit. https://t.co/4Fj2n6rNQl— MIT Technology Review (@techreview) April 17, 2019
Musk’s SpaceX once had a partnership with the company behind Stratolaunch regarding the plane.
Musk responded to the MIT Technology Review’s tweet by writing, “I’m an absolute unit too,” with a photo of the ram from the museum’s initial post.
I’m an absolute unit too pic.twitter.com/Rf0BTJmeEN— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 17, 2019
After a nudge from his Twitter followers, Musk then changed his photo to the ram.
The two accounts not only swapped avatars but a series of jokes as well.
“Wake up sheeple!” - sheep— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
Like thug, but rural— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
We dreamed them— The Museum of English Rural Life (@TheMERL) April 17, 2019
You can fire the winner into space— The Museum of English Rural Life (@TheMERL) April 18, 2019
Now Koszary will continue to enhance memes at the memelord’s company in July.
My Twitter is pretty much complete nonsense at this point— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 19, 2019
The Daily Dot has reached out to Adam Koszary.
- Elon Musk is a giggling baby in the latest terrifying deepfake
- SEC, Elon Musk agree to terms for Tesla CEO’s Twitter use
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter
- Elon Musk pivots to memelord
H/T The Guardian
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.