- Millions of Fortnite accounts exposed via Epic Games website exploit 1 Year Ago
- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care 1 Year Ago
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc 1 Year Ago
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind 1 Year Ago
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon Today 1:14 PM
- The ‘some of y’all… and it shows’ meme is taking over Twitter Today 12:24 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ begins season 2 on a cheerful note Today 11:49 AM
- Climate change memes are disrupting the feel-good ’10 year challenge’ Today 11:48 AM
- Mysterious Washington Post parody predicts Trump’s resignation Today 11:42 AM
- YouTube cracks down on challenges, pranks Today 11:04 AM
- Upskirting will soon be illegal in England Today 10:45 AM
- Jake Paul calls Keemstar a ‘piece of trash’ for ‘body-shaming’ Erika Costell Today 10:18 AM
- Sprint promises to stop selling location data after outcry Today 9:53 AM
- Kirsten Gillibrand announces presidential bid—and Al Franken diehards are salty Today 9:49 AM
- How to watch ‘Married at First Sight’ online for free Today 9:43 AM
Photo via Michel Curi/Flickr (CC-BY)
The meme is back.
Remember the Elf on the Shelf? It’s a character from a children’s book about elves who sit in people’s homes and spy for Santa. The concept was intended to be cute, but many people found it creepy. The elf became a meme several years ago, and people imagined the character stealing, doing yoga, and befriending other toys while humans slept.
And now, a couple of months before the holiday season begins, the meme is back. But the elf is out. Instead, people are coming up with a new character and object that rhyme. Many of the characters in widely-shared versions of this meme are from video games and animated shows.
Instead of Elf on the Shelf, how about Sailor Moon on a Spoon?
You've heard of Elf on the Shelf, now get ready for pic.twitter.com/0qVf4wAUGm
— HezaChan (@HezaChandotcom) September 17, 2017
Scooby on a Doobie.
Ash in the Trash, or Link in the Sink?
Sans in your Hands.
you've heard of the elf on the shelf
now get ready for pic.twitter.com/FeKSNadoWo
— Doofus Doggo ❤ (@ChelleDoggo) September 14, 2017
Shrek on a Deck.
RuPaul on a U-Haul.
If you didn’t know what Elf on the Shelf was until now, or you hate this new meme, don’t worry. Another meme will probably replace it soon.
i wish i was dead pic.twitter.com/P4pUv6e9mo
— Mark Brown (@britishgaming) September 18, 2017
It’s the circle of meme life.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.