- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ 2 Years Ago
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 2 Years Ago
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
Remember the Elf on the Shelf? It’s a character from a children’s book about elves who sit in people’s homes and spy for Santa. The concept was intended to be cute, but many people found it creepy. The elf became a meme several years ago, and people imagined the character stealing, doing yoga, and befriending other toys while humans slept.
And now, a couple of months before the holiday season begins, the meme is back. But the elf is out. Instead, people are coming up with a new character and object that rhyme. Many of the characters in widely-shared versions of this meme are from video games and animated shows.
Instead of Elf on the Shelf, how about Sailor Moon on a Spoon?
You've heard of Elf on the Shelf, now get ready for pic.twitter.com/0qVf4wAUGm— HezaChan (@HezaChandotcom) September 17, 2017
Scooby on a Doobie.
Ash in the Trash, or Link in the Sink?
Sans in your Hands.
you've heard of the elf on the shelf— Doofus Doggo ❤ (@ChelleDoggo) September 14, 2017
now get ready for pic.twitter.com/FeKSNadoWo
Shrek on a Deck.
RuPaul on a U-Haul.
If you didn’t know what Elf on the Shelf was until now, or you hate this new meme, don’t worry. Another meme will probably replace it soon.
i wish i was dead pic.twitter.com/P4pUv6e9mo— Mark Brown (@britishgaming) September 18, 2017
It’s the circle of meme life.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.