- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs 2 Years Ago
- U.K. advocacy group releases deepfakes of Corbyn, Johnson endorsing each other 2 Years Ago
- ‘The Mandalorian’ series premiere throws ‘Star Wars’ in the middle of the wild west Today 12:35 PM
- A total guide to bone conduction headphones, plus our recommendations Today 12:34 PM
- Disney+ goes down on launch day Today 11:52 AM
- Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader shine in Disney+ Christmas movie ‘Noelle’ Today 11:52 AM
- What to do if you’ve lost your AirPods charging case Today 11:42 AM
- Stephen Miller’s racist emails leak Today 11:20 AM
- Why was parody Twitter account Seinfeld2000 suspended? Today 11:06 AM
- Ed Sheeran lookalike trolls YouTubers at KSI-Logan Paul fight Today 10:21 AM
- ‘The World According to Jeff Goldblum’ is for stans only Today 9:28 AM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ live-action redesign is a marked improvement Today 9:01 AM
- U.S. gamers create as much carbon dioxide as 5 million cars Today 8:28 AM
- Disney+ TV characters like Ms. Marvel will appear in MCU movies Today 8:04 AM
- Apple TV+ offers something for younger viewers with ‘Helpsters’ Today 8:01 AM
Remember the Elf on the Shelf? It’s a character from a children’s book about elves who sit in people’s homes and spy for Santa. The concept was intended to be cute, but many people found it creepy. The elf became a meme several years ago, and people imagined the character stealing, doing yoga, and befriending other toys while humans slept.
And now, a couple of months before the holiday season begins, the meme is back. But the elf is out. Instead, people are coming up with a new character and object that rhyme. Many of the characters in widely-shared versions of this meme are from video games and animated shows.
Instead of Elf on the Shelf, how about Sailor Moon on a Spoon?
You've heard of Elf on the Shelf, now get ready for pic.twitter.com/0qVf4wAUGm— HezaChan (@HezaChandotcom) September 17, 2017
Scooby on a Doobie.
Ash in the Trash, or Link in the Sink?
Sans in your Hands.
you've heard of the elf on the shelf— Doofus Doggo ❤ (@ChelleDoggo) September 14, 2017
now get ready for pic.twitter.com/FeKSNadoWo
Shrek on a Deck.
RuPaul on a U-Haul.
If you didn’t know what Elf on the Shelf was until now, or you hate this new meme, don’t worry. Another meme will probably replace it soon.
i wish i was dead pic.twitter.com/P4pUv6e9mo— Mark Brown (@britishgaming) September 18, 2017
It’s the circle of meme life.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.