- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting 1 Year Ago
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness 1 Year Ago
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath 1 Year Ago
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns 1 Year Ago
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year 1 Year Ago
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Today 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Today 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Today 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Today 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Today 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Today 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Today 12:22 PM
- Smooth dude gets girl’s number with a ‘choose your own adventure’ RPG on Tinder Today 12:20 PM
- Beto O’Rourke reportedly pranked his wife with a ‘verdant turd’ Today 12:13 PM
- The Disney-Fox deal is finalized Today 12:08 PM
Photo via Michel Curi/Flickr (CC-BY)
The meme is back.
Remember the Elf on the Shelf? It’s a character from a children’s book about elves who sit in people’s homes and spy for Santa. The concept was intended to be cute, but many people found it creepy. The elf became a meme several years ago, and people imagined the character stealing, doing yoga, and befriending other toys while humans slept.
And now, a couple of months before the holiday season begins, the meme is back. But the elf is out. Instead, people are coming up with a new character and object that rhyme. Many of the characters in widely-shared versions of this meme are from video games and animated shows.
Instead of Elf on the Shelf, how about Sailor Moon on a Spoon?
You've heard of Elf on the Shelf, now get ready for pic.twitter.com/0qVf4wAUGm
— HezaChan (@HezaChandotcom) September 17, 2017
Scooby on a Doobie.
Ash in the Trash, or Link in the Sink?
Sans in your Hands.
you've heard of the elf on the shelf
now get ready for pic.twitter.com/FeKSNadoWo
— Doofus Doggo ❤ (@ChelleDoggo) September 14, 2017
Shrek on a Deck.
RuPaul on a U-Haul.
If you didn’t know what Elf on the Shelf was until now, or you hate this new meme, don’t worry. Another meme will probably replace it soon.
i wish i was dead pic.twitter.com/P4pUv6e9mo
— Mark Brown (@britishgaming) September 18, 2017
It’s the circle of meme life.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.