- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath 2 Years Ago
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns 2 Years Ago
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year 2 Years Ago
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Today 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Today 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Today 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Today 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Today 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Today 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Today 12:22 PM
- Smooth dude gets girl’s number with a ‘choose your own adventure’ RPG on Tinder Today 12:20 PM
- Beto O’Rourke reportedly pranked his wife with a ‘verdant turd’ Today 12:13 PM
- The Disney-Fox deal is finalized Today 12:08 PM
- Beto likes to stand on counters—and there are memes to prove it Today 10:47 AM
- House promises April vote on bill to restore net neutrality rules Today 9:58 AM
Here’s how many followers Trump really has on social media
On Friday morning, as part of a very thorough tweetstorm about Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation into his administration, President Donald Trump took time out to praise himself for his social media presence.
The Fake News Media hates when I use what has turned out to be my very powerful Social Media – over 100 million people! I can go around them
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 16, 2017
That number didn’t come out of nowhere. While people immediately pointed to his 32 million followers on Twitter as proof it was false, the 100 million number is something the White House has been trying to push for some time.
A Breitbart writer floated that number after a “tech source” gave it to him two weeks ago.
White House tech source estimates that Trump has 108-110 million social media followers
— Charlie Spiering (@charliespiering) June 6, 2017
Is it accurate, though? Well… kind of, if you add it all up. The president has access to more social media accounts than just his famous @realDonaldTrump account. Here are the numbers relating to President Trump’s online presence.
@realDonaldTrump: 32.4 m
@POTUS: 18.8 million
@WhiteHouse: 14.6 million
Donald J. Trump: 22.4 million
President Donald J. Trump: 1.7 million
The White House: 8.3 million
@realdonaldtrump: 7 million
@whitehouse: 3.6 million
All told, that adds up to 108.8 million followers, or the number the Breitbart writer tossed out there. Of course, that doesn’t account for overlap, of which there is likely a significant amount. A great number of people likely follow @realDonaldTrump and @POTUS. Or follow him on Instagram and Twitter. Neither does that number factor in fake followers. As much as half of the @realDonaldTrump followers are fake, according to some estimates.
So, the true number is likely far lower than 108 million. But that figure is also not entirely wrong.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]