- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake 2 Years Ago
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Today 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Today 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Today 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Today 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
Here’s how many followers Trump really has on social media
On Friday morning, as part of a very thorough tweetstorm about Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation into his administration, President Donald Trump took time out to praise himself for his social media presence.
The Fake News Media hates when I use what has turned out to be my very powerful Social Media – over 100 million people! I can go around them
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 16, 2017
That number didn’t come out of nowhere. While people immediately pointed to his 32 million followers on Twitter as proof it was false, the 100 million number is something the White House has been trying to push for some time.
A Breitbart writer floated that number after a “tech source” gave it to him two weeks ago.
White House tech source estimates that Trump has 108-110 million social media followers
— Charlie Spiering (@charliespiering) June 6, 2017
Is it accurate, though? Well… kind of, if you add it all up. The president has access to more social media accounts than just his famous @realDonaldTrump account. Here are the numbers relating to President Trump’s online presence.
@realDonaldTrump: 32.4 m
@POTUS: 18.8 million
@WhiteHouse: 14.6 million
Donald J. Trump: 22.4 million
President Donald J. Trump: 1.7 million
The White House: 8.3 million
@realdonaldtrump: 7 million
@whitehouse: 3.6 million
All told, that adds up to 108.8 million followers, or the number the Breitbart writer tossed out there. Of course, that doesn’t account for overlap, of which there is likely a significant amount. A great number of people likely follow @realDonaldTrump and @POTUS. Or follow him on Instagram and Twitter. Neither does that number factor in fake followers. As much as half of the @realDonaldTrump followers are fake, according to some estimates.
So, the true number is likely far lower than 108 million. But that figure is also not entirely wrong.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]