- Guy gets roasted for throwing razor in the toilet to protest Gillette Wednesday 9:23 PM
- Experts warn of uptick in ‘Ryuk’ ransomware after hackers net $3.7 million Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Video game composer boycotts Gillette after anti-toxic masculinity ad Wednesday 6:05 PM
- Steve Carell sitcom ‘Space Force’ heading to Netflix Wednesday 5:30 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘run train’ phrase becomes conservative sex controversy Wednesday 5:25 PM
- ‘Into’ is a reminder that queer businesses can be hurt by straight leaders Wednesday 5:13 PM
- TSA agents are the latest tool in the government shutdown meme war Wednesday 4:22 PM
- YouTube still hosting bestiality images year after crackdown pledge Wednesday 4:13 PM
- YouTuber quits fight after Darth Vader fan film claimed by Disney Wednesday 3:26 PM
- Millions of Fortnite accounts exposed via Epic Games website exploit Wednesday 2:26 PM
- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care Wednesday 2:00 PM
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc Wednesday 1:51 PM
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind Wednesday 1:35 PM
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon Wednesday 1:14 PM
- The ‘some of y’all… and it shows’ meme is taking over Twitter Wednesday 12:24 PM
All the boys and gorls are loving this meme.
The first Despicable Me film debuted in July of 2010 and was a huge hit, spawning two sequels and one prequel. Sure, the minions were cute, but it was really Steve Carell’s voice for Gru that made the movie. His outrageous accent turned an already solid script into a gut-buster.
Now people are seizing on Gru’s pronunciation of the word “girl”—it sounds like “gorl”—to create Gru’ed-up memes of your favorite celebrities and pop stars.
Remember Katy Perry’s hit song, “California Gorls”?
California gorls x pic.twitter.com/5BoDBjGRgj
— doodlerob (@RobertLaing_) April 26, 2018
In this meme, Ed Sheeran becomes Galway Gorl.
My pretty little Galway gorl pic.twitter.com/upCIhVxskq
— Andrew Robertson (@OnlyAndrew_) April 30, 2018
Who runs the world?
— Jude (@JudeFxrbes) April 30, 2018
Ain’t no hollaback gorl pic.twitter.com/AwMyk3IirO
— LK (@thelocalemo) April 30, 2018
Hey hey you you I don’t like your gorlfriend pic.twitter.com/CD4OPFscxP
— Hatun⚡ ¨̮ (@hatunozkul) April 29, 2018
But there’s no need to limit the meme to pop music. It works just as well for movies and television shows.
Mean Gorls pic.twitter.com/Ku5S87NsN5
— Devin 🌶 (@devin_smc) April 29, 2018
Gossip Gorl pic.twitter.com/vNiPEFqCCw
— lou ❤️ (@louisedevoy1) April 29, 2018
Or anything featuring the word “girl.”
I’m a Barbie Gorl – Barbie (1997) pic.twitter.com/8xXvgXm5Ie
— lil kierie (@Kierabridget) May 1, 2018
you don't have a cell phone? good gorl. the government didn’t have to put tracking devices on us we put them on ourselves pic.twitter.com/7dfnaYSnbr
— lou (@jakegyIlenheIl) May 1, 2018
WHO IS THAT GORL I SEE pic.twitter.com/b6968bIxPM
— Miguel (@Meheguel) May 1, 2018
As you can see, it’s a pretty easy meme to get in on. Think of a pop culture reference with the word “girl” in it. Replace “girl” with “gorl”. Photoshop in Gru’s face. Post that bad boy.
As far as memes go, it’s no “Gru’s Plan,” but it’s still pretty good.
Of all the Gru memes going around, this one is my fav. pic.twitter.com/wFe2EQJSjZ
— KAPT Kipper (@Smokeme_aKipper) March 13, 2018
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.