- Feds take down dark web’s largest known child porn site 5 Months Ago
- Ben Shapiro says his ‘man body’ is just as controlled as women’s 5 Months Ago
- Genius turns Kylie Jenner’s ‘rise and shine’ meme into alarm ringtone Today 4:14 PM
- In ‘Tell Me Who I Am,’ twin brothers grapple with hidden trauma Today 4:13 PM
- Panama Papers law firm sues Netflix over ‘The Laundromat’ Today 3:07 PM
- ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is a gorgeous noir with little below the surface Today 1:14 PM
- Jameela Jamil and Sara Sampaio got in a Twitter feud over ‘long-starved’ models Today 12:52 PM
- Freddie Prinze Jr. will straight-up school you about the Force don’t @ him Today 12:18 PM
- Woman hosts Instagram funeral after she ‘killed’ $102K in student debt Today 11:45 AM
- YouTube beats Netflix as go-to streaming platform for teens Today 11:41 AM
- The tallest man in America posts emotional YouTube video from hospital room Today 11:31 AM
- Nintendo Switch subreddit implodes amid Hong Kong protests Today 11:14 AM
- Biden yelling at Warren becomes relatable workplace meme Today 10:33 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard was conservatives’ favorite debater Today 10:07 AM
- ‘Rogue One’ co-writer to direct several episodes, write the pilot for Cassian Andor series Today 9:50 AM
Every time it seems like the internet may have moved on from cat videos, a fresh wave of feline fun bursts onto the scene.
The latest iteration of cat videos has owners recording their furry friends making crazy noises into karaoke microphones, and yes, it’s totally worth obsessing over.
As lovable as cats are, they’re also ferocious creatures whose behaviors and goals can never be understood by us mere humans. So to have their already-foreboding meows and whines amplified into something even more unnerving with the addition of reverb is…actually incredibly appropriate for tiny fierce beasts.
nobody:— sarah tonin (@b0redangel) May 11, 2019
the ghosts in Luigi’s mansion: pic.twitter.com/caoz4DXLeh
The trend seems to have largely originated from a video posted to TikTok back in December, and though it has since been deleted, it’s still managed to inspire plenty of other cat people to coerce their little pals into the spotlight for their star moment.
i have amassed a collection of cats singing into microphones pic.twitter.com/pS0m2BTXzh— leader of anda nation (@official_anda) January 20, 2019
ngl mango brown kinda owns my heart this baby is so loving pic.twitter.com/Y5B5DeRq1Q— leader of anda nation (@official_anda) January 20, 2019
My son’s going to be a star . Guys please make him famous pic.twitter.com/G5Vp2X8780— yanira ♡ (@ariii_nay) May 10, 2019
And, despite this genre of video likely foreshadowing the sounds of the inevitable cat-apocalypse, the internet can’t seem to get enough of it.
THE 2 BEST MEMES ARE MINECRAFT EDITS OF REAL LIFE VIDEOS AND WHEN CATS MAKE CAT SOUNDS INTO A KARAOKE MICROPHONE— Robbie (@CAVETOWN) January 10, 2019
i can’t stop watching videos of cats meowing into microphones is this my new coping mechanism— shia labeef (@havetoshitrn) January 16, 2019
only videos of cats singing into microphones can save 2019— back in working hell (@meru90) January 28, 2019
As beautiful and flawless as all of these strange little cats are, it almost feels a little bit like Feline American Idol up in here. Will one of these kitties rise to true fame? Is the next Grumpy Cat lurking amongst these crooning cats? Might a star be born?
Who knows, but it’s definitely worth watching at least a couple more cat videos to find out. Or a dozen. Or a hundred. Cat videos are forever.
Rachel Kiley is a writer who sometimes writes things and sometimes is based in L.A., but is definitely always on Twitter @rachelkiley.