- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime 3 Months Ago
- Three ways to secure your Nest cameras 3 Months Ago
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters 3 Months Ago
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Today 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Today 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge
Cats have ruled almost every social platform on the internet from YouTube to Twitter. Now they’ve come to TikTok, the video-sharing app that has led to viral challenges, like this one where users turn slowly to mimic a microwave. In one of the latest video trends, identifiable by the #dearkitten hashtag, users share videos of their cats with a voiceover that details the daily challenges that felines face.
“I have been stalking an insect on the wall for the past three days now,” the narration starts in a video by user @mr.buddypants. “All of my attempts to catch it have been thwarted. However, today, on further inspection, I found out that the insect was, in fact, a thumbtack.”
Other videos tagged with #dearkitten follow this format of featuring an older cat giving advice to a younger cat.
You might recognize the voiceover in these videos. The “dear kitten” monologue actually comes from a Friskies commercial that was created by BuzzFeed in 2014.
The video, which has been viewed more than 30 million times on YouTube, is getting a new life on TikTok.
The “dear kitten” videos aren’t the only popular cat videos on the platform. Here’s a video from user @beezeanna featuring a cat in a police hat with a miniature toy gun that was a huge hit on Twitter.
Important video pic.twitter.com/zQ2BqmKqxn
— pichael (@xbleachtemple) March 24, 2019
And here’s another cat video featuring “Coincidance” by Handsome Dancer, a popular song choice on the app.
TikTok, which is home to a lot of earnest video content, is now a place to find cat videos that are reminiscent of the early internet. We’re not complaining.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.