- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free 4 Weeks Ago
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? 4 Weeks Ago
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge
Cats have ruled almost every social platform on the internet from YouTube to Twitter. Now they’ve come to TikTok, the video-sharing app that has led to viral challenges, like this one where users turn slowly to mimic a microwave. In one of the latest video trends, identifiable by the #dearkitten hashtag, users share videos of their cats with a voiceover that details the daily challenges that felines face.
“I have been stalking an insect on the wall for the past three days now,” the narration starts in a video by user @mr.buddypants. “All of my attempts to catch it have been thwarted. However, today, on further inspection, I found out that the insect was, in fact, a thumbtack.”
Other videos tagged with #dearkitten follow this format of featuring an older cat giving advice to a younger cat.
You might recognize the voiceover in these videos. The “dear kitten” monologue actually comes from a Friskies commercial that was created by BuzzFeed in 2014.
The video, which has been viewed more than 30 million times on YouTube, is getting a new life on TikTok.
The “dear kitten” videos aren’t the only popular cat videos on the platform. Here’s a video from user @beezeanna featuring a cat in a police hat with a miniature toy gun that was a huge hit on Twitter.
Important video pic.twitter.com/zQ2BqmKqxn
— pichael (@xbleachtemple) March 24, 2019
And here’s another cat video featuring “Coincidance” by Handsome Dancer, a popular song choice on the app.
TikTok, which is home to a lot of earnest video content, is now a place to find cat videos that are reminiscent of the early internet. We’re not complaining.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.