- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series 1 Week Ago
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech 1 Week Ago
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers 1 Week Ago
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June 1 Week Ago
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Today 2:45 PM
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming Today 2:33 PM
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash Today 11:51 AM
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo Today 11:39 AM
- After feuding with James Charles, Tati Westbrook angers the YouTube community Today 11:06 AM
- Does Keri Russell’s ‘Rise of Skywalker’ character have an offensive name in Spanish? Today 10:59 AM
- It’s not clear if Ralph Northam is in racist yearbook photo, investigators say Today 10:48 AM
- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
Boys’ locker room meme has people imagining what the heck goes on in there
A new meme is hilariously exaggerating the differences between the scenes you would see in the girls’ locker room versus the boys’ locker room—and it’s blowing up.
The joke format is somewhat similar to the “what would you do if we kissed?” meme, as it has people online dreaming up the most outlandish situations to happen in a relatively boring place.
The meme format goes like this: The scene set in the girls’ locker room is completely normal. Girls might be saying things like “OMG P.E. sucks! What are you doing after school? We should go to the mall,” or “I hate P.E. so much. OMG Becky are you wearing a thong?”
The scene in the boys’ locker room is nowhere near as typical, whether it involves a bizarre dance party or rowdy wrestling.
Girls locker room: i hate P.E, it’s so boring OMG sara are you wearing a thong?
Boys locker room: pic.twitter.com/ckKdGYGJwT
— Shankar (@ShankarLuqman) May 11, 2019
girl's locker room: ugh, PE is the worst.
boy's locker room: pic.twitter.com/Pe2NCU56Ww
— eth (@eroohtwo) May 11, 2019
girls locker room: ugh, PE is so boring i hate it
boys locker room: pic.twitter.com/sa5xPH5ce4
— funké (@funkemcfly) May 12, 2019
girls locker room: omg I hate p.e so much. I hope we don’t have to run today
boys locker room: pic.twitter.com/JwmXtQkmMN
— burnt™ (@stephenburner) May 13, 2019
Girls locker room: I can’t wait to graduate so I can go to college and get a STEM degree
Boys locker room: pic.twitter.com/Xkqxs27o5j
— Jules (@Julian_Epp) May 14, 2019
girls locker room: ugh. I hate gym. what's even the point.
boys locker room: pic.twitter.com/MlioFDSMGD
— Twonko (@Twonko_) May 12, 2019
Anybody getting mad that this meme is unfair to boys should, first, learn to take a joke. Also, they should learn that the meme isn’t completely off the mark. Video of 80 high school boys meeting in a bathroom to perform an acapella version of the Halo opening theme has been around since 2018.
According to Know Your Meme, the boys’ locker room meme began through a Russian language social network. The first English version of the joke appeared on Reddit when user LukeChrome compared the inside of a boy’s locker room to Warhammer 40,000 fan art.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.