‘Dark Phoenix’ had to reshoot the ending because it was too similar to another recent superhero movie
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges 5 Months Ago
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story 5 Months Ago
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Today 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Today 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Today 3:29 PM
- Microsoft developing voice filters to block ‘toxic’ users on Xbox Live Today 3:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston already has 2 million followers on Instagram Today 3:25 PM
- Why facials oils are a must for your winter skincare routine Today 3:20 PM
- Father of mega-popular Ace Family YouTube channel accused of rape Today 1:59 PM
- This Italian town ‘banned’ Google Maps after people kept getting lost Today 1:31 PM
- Fornite emerges from black hole with Chapter 2 Today 1:21 PM
- Everything Google announced at today’s Pixel event Today 1:12 PM
- Netflix sued over line about interrogation technique in ‘When They See Us’ Today 12:52 PM
- Twitch streamer says racist trolls got her banned for ‘suggestive’ outfit Today 12:47 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google’s new Pixel phones Today 12:47 PM
Ever since the Disney/Fox merger, the X-Men franchise has felt like it’s on life support. The promo tour for Dark Phoenix (which comes out next week) is pretty low-key compared to the MCU franchise, and the cast and crew are being surprisingly open about reshoots for this film and New Mutants.
Speaking to Yahoo! Movies, actor James McAvoy revealed that Dark Phoenix‘s reshoots were more extensive than we thought. Why? Because they had to change the entire ending.
“The end changed a hell of a lot,” said McAvoy. “The finale had to change. There was a lot of overlap and parallels with another superhero movie that came out… a while ago.”
McAvoy said that the reshoots improved the movie, an idea that was echoed by his co-stars. “You watched the first two acts and the third act just didn’t feel cohesive,“ said Sophie Turner, who plays Jean Grey/Phoenix. “We went back and re-did all of the third act, and it was such a good decision.“
This obviously invites the question of which superhero film was dangerously similar to Dark Phoenix‘s ending. It has to be something that came out after October 2017, when Dark Phoenix wrapped filming. The smart money’s on either Thor: Ragnarok or Captain Marvel—two superhero movies with space-related concepts that might have something in common with Jean Grey’s Phoenix storyline. It’s possible that Dark Phoenix‘s original ending echoed the finale of Captain Marvel, which revealed the true allegiance of various characters in an interplanetary war.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor