‘Dark Phoenix’ had to reshoot the ending because it was too similar to another recent superhero movie
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Ever since the Disney/Fox merger, the X-Men franchise has felt like it’s on life support. The promo tour for Dark Phoenix (which comes out next week) is pretty low-key compared to the MCU franchise, and the cast and crew are being surprisingly open about reshoots for this film and New Mutants.
Speaking to Yahoo! Movies, actor James McAvoy revealed that Dark Phoenix‘s reshoots were more extensive than we thought. Why? Because they had to change the entire ending.
“The end changed a hell of a lot,” said McAvoy. “The finale had to change. There was a lot of overlap and parallels with another superhero movie that came out… a while ago.”
McAvoy said that the reshoots improved the movie, an idea that was echoed by his co-stars. “You watched the first two acts and the third act just didn’t feel cohesive,“ said Sophie Turner, who plays Jean Grey/Phoenix. “We went back and re-did all of the third act, and it was such a good decision.“
This obviously invites the question of which superhero film was dangerously similar to Dark Phoenix‘s ending. It has to be something that came out after October 2017, when Dark Phoenix wrapped filming. The smart money’s on either Thor: Ragnarok or Captain Marvel—two superhero movies with space-related concepts that might have something in common with Jean Grey’s Phoenix storyline. It’s possible that Dark Phoenix‘s original ending echoed the finale of Captain Marvel, which revealed the true allegiance of various characters in an interplanetary war.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor