- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Nintendo did Smash Bros. fans a solid at E3 this year by debuting 25 minutes worth of new footage from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There wasn’t a dry eye on the internet, as Nintendo confirmed that all 64 characters from Smash Bros. history would be returning as playable characters. To top things off, Nintendo announced that the Inkling kids from Splatoon 2 and space pirate/dragon Ridley from Metroid would be joining the roster. That didn’t stop a huge contingent of Nintendo fans from airing their grievances that their favorite character, Waluigi, was once again left as nothing more than an assist trophy. In response, fans have started a darkly hilarious hashtag campaign called “#WaluigiForSmash.”
Assist trophies, for those not versed in Smash Bros. lingo, are items that can be used mid-match that spawn one of dozens of random Nintendo characters (like Chain Chomps, Nintendogs, or Skull Kid, to name but a few) that use a special ability to help you in combat.
So what did the internet have to say?
Who has suffered the most?— FREE ISABELLE (@justmonikas) June 12, 2018
100% waluigi ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
0% our troops
963,347,821 votes • Final results
waluigi doesn't have time to be playable in smash bros because he's next in line to fill in murdocs place in gorillaz— samanthuel🌱 (@splendidland) June 12, 2018
Considering Nintendo’s key phrase during the game’s announcement was “Everybody is here,” perhaps Waluigi fans have got a point.
Waluigi, like so many pop culture characters before him, has become more defined by the memes of him than his actual appearances in video games. With his gaunt frame, mischievous yet open-ended personality, and anti-hero status, he’s become perfect fodder for meme-makers all over the globe.
It’s not impossible for Nintendo to add Waluigi later as a DLC character. After fans asked for Final Fantasy VII’s Cloud to be added, Nintendo finally obliged and added him in December of 2015. For now, though, it looks like the “wahs” of fans will go unanswered at least until the game has released on December 7 on the Nintendo Switch and had some time to breathe.
- How Waluigi went from Mario Tennis character to all-time great meme
- There’s a Super Smash Bros. game coming to the Nintendo Switch
- Toad’s mushroom top isn’t a hat, Nintendo reveals
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.