- Leave Me Alurn is the ‘SNL’ product we wish existed in real life 7 Months Ago
- How to watch ‘Charmed’ online for free Today 9:00 AM
- How to watch Patriots vs. Chiefs online for free Today 8:15 AM
- This is the ‘Star Wars’ VR experience you’re looking for Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Salt Fat Acid Heat’ takes viewers on a journey through the four building blocks of a great dish Today 7:00 AM
- How to tell the deep web from the dark web Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Saints vs. Rams online for free Today 6:15 AM
- How to watch ‘Supergirl’ online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the NFL conference championship games Today 5:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Leganes online for free Today 1:00 AM
- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit Saturday 8:51 PM
- Ariana Grande’s ‘7 Rings’ courts controversy Saturday 6:19 PM
- Crowd of MAGA teens attempts to intimidate Native American protester Saturday 4:13 PM
- ‘Generously buttered noodles’ is the bizarre, wholesome meme you didn’t know you needed Saturday 2:07 PM
- All of Machinima’s YouTube videos are gone, stunning creators and fans (updated) Saturday 1:14 PM
The internet goes ‘Wah!’ over Waluigi’s exclusion from the Smash Bros. roster
Fans ask ‘Wah’ is the matter with adding another character.
Nintendo did Smash Bros. fans a solid at E3 this year by debuting 25 minutes worth of new footage from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There wasn’t a dry eye on the internet, as Nintendo confirmed that all 64 characters from Smash Bros. history would be returning as playable characters. To top things off, Nintendo announced that the Inkling kids from Splatoon 2 and space pirate/dragon Ridley from Metroid would be joining the roster. That didn’t stop a huge contingent of Nintendo fans from airing their grievances that their favorite character, Waluigi, was once again left as nothing more than an assist trophy. In response, fans have started a darkly hilarious hashtag campaign called “#WaluigiForSmash.”
Assist trophies, for those not versed in Smash Bros. lingo, are items that can be used mid-match that spawn one of dozens of random Nintendo characters (like Chain Chomps, Nintendogs, or Skull Kid, to name but a few) that use a special ability to help you in combat.
So what did the internet have to say?
— Unlucky (@Unlucky_Souls) June 13, 2018
Who has suffered the most?
100% waluigi ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
0% our troops
963,347,821 votes • Final results
— FREE ISABELLE (@justmonikas) June 12, 2018
— 🌹Alan🌹 (@CritKobold) June 13, 2018
waluigi doesn't have time to be playable in smash bros because he's next in line to fill in murdocs place in gorillaz
— splendidland🌱 (@splendidland) June 12, 2018
— Brian Bear (@BeaPeaBear) June 13, 2018
— Waluigi (@JGamerXone) June 13, 2018
— Ken Reid🇨🇦📱 (@KennethReidGD) June 13, 2018
Considering Nintendo’s key phrase during the game’s announcement was “Everybody is here,” perhaps Waluigi fans have got a point.
Waluigi, like so many pop culture characters before him, has become more defined by the memes of him than his actual appearances in video games. With his gaunt frame, mischievous yet open-ended personality, and anti-hero status, he’s become perfect fodder for meme-makers all over the globe.
It’s not impossible for Nintendo to add Waluigi later as a DLC character. After fans asked for Final Fantasy VII’s Cloud to be added, Nintendo finally obliged and added him in December of 2015. For now, though, it looks like the “wahs” of fans will go unanswered at least until the game has released on December 7 on the Nintendo Switch and had some time to breathe.
- How Waluigi went from Mario Tennis character to all-time great meme
- There’s a Super Smash Bros. game coming to the Nintendo Switch
- Toad’s mushroom top isn’t a hat, Nintendo reveals
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.