- What exactly is ‘too adult’ for Disney+? 5 Years Ago
- How tall is Michael Bloomberg? 5 Years Ago
- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
Good luck making sense of the ‘Terminator: Genisys’ trailer
Genisys reboots the reboot. We think.
The official trailer for Terminator: Genisys hit the Web today, and beyond all the explody bits, we’re not sure what we’re looking at.
Genisys will be the fifth film in the Terminator series, and it looks like a series reboot involving Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor. Those were the two characters who faced off against Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Terminator cyborg in the original 1984 film. That would also make Genisys a reboot to the Christian Bale-helmed Terminator: Salvation in 2009—or a reboot to a reboot.
The Terminator, Judgment Day, and Rise of the Machines fit together into a trilogy that makes sense. Terminator: Salvation was tough to place into the existing franchise, if for no other reason than the human survivors fighting Skynet had no laser guns. They’re supposed to have laser guns.
If Genisys is a reboot, then it ought to be standing on its own. But Arnold is back, ostensibly playing the same Terminator as sent back in time from the future, in previous movies. So it’s not quite a reboot.
But the trailer also reveals that the existing timeline from the previous films doesn’t exist anymore, so that means Genisys is a reboot, because it doesn’t matter if the audience saw any of the previous films. But there’s also a liquid metal Terminator, and that was in the second and third movies, but not the fourth…
We don’t know. The movie will have exploding things in it. And, judging from his gray hair, Governor Schwarzenegger will be playing a senescent killer cyborg. If you want to know more he’s taking questions on his Facebook page right now.
Terminator Genisys / Remix by Dennis Scimeca
Terminator: Genisys comes out on July 1, so we do know something for sure about this movie.
Image via Terminator Genisys/YouTube | Remix by Dennis Scimeca
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.