- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action 5 Years Ago
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Today 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Today 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Today 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Today 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Today 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Today 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Today 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Today 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Today 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Today 2:30 PM
- Government sues Edward Snowden for breaking a non-disclosure agreement Today 2:21 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Olympiacos in the Champions League Today 1:56 PM
Good luck making sense of the ‘Terminator: Genisys’ trailer
Genisys reboots the reboot. We think.
The official trailer for Terminator: Genisys hit the Web today, and beyond all the explody bits, we’re not sure what we’re looking at.
Genisys will be the fifth film in the Terminator series, and it looks like a series reboot involving Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor. Those were the two characters who faced off against Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Terminator cyborg in the original 1984 film. That would also make Genisys a reboot to the Christian Bale-helmed Terminator: Salvation in 2009—or a reboot to a reboot.
The Terminator, Judgment Day, and Rise of the Machines fit together into a trilogy that makes sense. Terminator: Salvation was tough to place into the existing franchise, if for no other reason than the human survivors fighting Skynet had no laser guns. They’re supposed to have laser guns.
If Genisys is a reboot, then it ought to be standing on its own. But Arnold is back, ostensibly playing the same Terminator as sent back in time from the future, in previous movies. So it’s not quite a reboot.
But the trailer also reveals that the existing timeline from the previous films doesn’t exist anymore, so that means Genisys is a reboot, because it doesn’t matter if the audience saw any of the previous films. But there’s also a liquid metal Terminator, and that was in the second and third movies, but not the fourth…
We don’t know. The movie will have exploding things in it. And, judging from his gray hair, Governor Schwarzenegger will be playing a senescent killer cyborg. If you want to know more he’s taking questions on his Facebook page right now.
Terminator Genisys / Remix by Dennis Scimeca
Terminator: Genisys comes out on July 1, so we do know something for sure about this movie.
Image via Terminator Genisys/YouTube | Remix by Dennis Scimeca
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.