- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
‘Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic’ movie is reportedly in the works
Lucasfilm is reportedly working on a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic movie. According to three sources who spoke to BuzzFeed, screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis (Altered Carbon; Alita: Battle Angel) is working on the screenplay.
Released in 2003, the video game Knights of the Old Republic is widely beloved by Star Wars fans. It takes place about 4,000 years before the events of the original trilogy and features an epic struggle between Jedi knights and Sith lords. Praised for its storytelling and exploration of Star Wars lore, it’s a hugely popular piece of the Star Wars extended canon, and influenced many fans’ interpretation of the franchise.
Knights of the Old Republic is often name-checked as a fan-favorite choice for a new movie, and earlier this year producer Kathleen Kennedy said “we are developing something to look at” regarding a screen adaptation. According to the BuzzFeed report, Laeta Kalogridis’ script would be the first part of a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy.
Disney hasn’t confirmed that this movie will actually get made, and it’s possible that other writers are working on different spinoff scripts behind the scenes. However, Knights of the Old Republic would undoubtedly be a more popular choice than the upcoming trilogy penned by Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, whose attachment to the franchise has earned some preemptive backlash due to their HBO’s series poorly received final seasons.
If the KOTOR film does happen, it would also be the first Star Wars film written solely by a woman. Leigh Brackett co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, but since then every Star Wars film has been written and directed by white men, including the two upcoming trilogies confirmed by Disney.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor