- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ 4 Years Ago
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Today 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Today 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
If you’re a Star Wars fan, you have to watch this.
The long wait to see the first new Star Wars footage in almost a decade is finally over.
Lucasfilm Ltd. on Friday morning released the teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the seventh episode in the franchise, exclusively through the iTunes Trailers website.
Shortly after its iTunes debut, Lucasfilm posted it on the official Star Wars YouTube channel.
The leadup to the release of this trailer carried an intensity unique to Star Wars. After a week of rumors that Disney was planning something big for this teaser, Regal Theatres jumped the gun on Monday morning with an announcement of special Thanksgiving weekend preview screenings. Later, other theater chains joined in, and as of this weekend, 30 theaters in the U.S. and Canada are showing the teaser before every screening of every movie.
Many fans still weren’t happy that they would have to go to one of these theaters to be among the first to see the trailer. Lucasfilm calmed them down when it announced that the trailer would also debut on iTunes, although it didn’t announce a specific time. Because this is Star Wars, diehard fans didn’t take any chances. Many of them stayed up until 3am ET, which is midnight for California-based Apple and Lucasfilm, in the hopes of catching the footage after furiously refreshing the iTunes Trailer website.
One prominent Star Wars podcast even organized a Skype text chat that scrolled a mile a minute in the waning hours of Thursday and early hours of Friday.
After that plan didn’t pan out, fans remained upbeat, knowing that they were still just a few hours away from new Star Wars movie content.
Now that the trailer is finally available, hit the iTunes trailer link above—and may the Force be with you.
Screengrab via Star Wars/YouTube
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.