- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Today 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Today 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Today 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Today 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Today 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
Here’s the teaser trailer for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’
If you’re a Star Wars fan, you have to watch this.
The long wait to see the first new Star Wars footage in almost a decade is finally over.
Lucasfilm Ltd. on Friday morning released the teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the seventh episode in the franchise, exclusively through the iTunes Trailers website.
Shortly after its iTunes debut, Lucasfilm posted it on the official Star Wars YouTube channel.
The leadup to the release of this trailer carried an intensity unique to Star Wars. After a week of rumors that Disney was planning something big for this teaser, Regal Theatres jumped the gun on Monday morning with an announcement of special Thanksgiving weekend preview screenings. Later, other theater chains joined in, and as of this weekend, 30 theaters in the U.S. and Canada are showing the teaser before every screening of every movie.
Many fans still weren’t happy that they would have to go to one of these theaters to be among the first to see the trailer. Lucasfilm calmed them down when it announced that the trailer would also debut on iTunes, although it didn’t announce a specific time. Because this is Star Wars, diehard fans didn’t take any chances. Many of them stayed up until 3am ET, which is midnight for California-based Apple and Lucasfilm, in the hopes of catching the footage after furiously refreshing the iTunes Trailer website.
One prominent Star Wars podcast even organized a Skype text chat that scrolled a mile a minute in the waning hours of Thursday and early hours of Friday.
After that plan didn’t pan out, fans remained upbeat, knowing that they were still just a few hours away from new Star Wars movie content.
Now that the trailer is finally available, hit the iTunes trailer link above—and may the Force be with you.
Screengrab via Star Wars/YouTube
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.