- Which direwolves are left in ‘Game of Thrones’? 4 Years Ago
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ premiere brings no spoilers, but plenty of emotion 4 Years Ago
- Kamala Harris calls on House to begin impeachment proceeding against Trump 4 Years Ago
- Twitch kills ‘Joy of Sex’ category—and gamers are furious Today 8:19 AM
- The best Mother’s Day gifts and gadgets for high-tech moms Today 7:30 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Music Teacher’ is another lifeless melodrama about an emotionally illiterate man Today 6:45 AM
- 3 things we saw at the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ premiere Today 6:30 AM
- How to use Google Home Hub as a digital photo frame Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Netflix on Apple devices without AirPlay support Today 5:00 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Monday 2:37 PM
Prepare yourself for another long wait, Sherlockians.
The cast has already filmed a Victorian-era special episode, scheduled to air this winter. However, the show’s fourth season won’t air until late 2016 at the earliest.
At this weekend’s BAFTA Awards, Sherlock showrunner Steven Moffat confirmed that the crew begins filming the next season in spring 2016.
In his typical spoiler-free style, Moffat said that the fourth season will involve “Consequences. It’s consequences. Chickens come to roost. It’s dark in some ways – obviously it’s great fun and a Sherlock Holmes romp and all that – but there’s a sense of things coming back to bite you.”
Since Moffat and his writing partner Mark Gatiss habitually describe each new season of Sherlock and Doctor Who as darker and more tragic than the last, this tells us basically nothing. All we really know is that season four will carry on where the third season left off, with this year’s special episode taking place outside regular Sherlock continuity.
Luckily, Sherlock fans are used to enduring a long wait between episodes. Speculating about the next season is all part of the fun.
Photo via BBC One/Tumble
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.