- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Friday 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Friday 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Friday 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Friday 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Friday 8:58 AM
Shenmue III gets a short teaser as its Kickstarter comes to a close
We’re in the final hours of the hugely successful effort.
Shenmue III was launched on Kickstarter during Sony’s press conference during E3 in June. Now that Kickstarter is coming to a close, Ys Net has released a new snippet of footage teasing things to come.
It’s short, but oh-so-sweet. Clearly the game is still in very early development, as characters still look stiff and lighting is all over the place. But game development takes time, and with a few coats of polish, it should be looking up-to-date.
As for the Kickstarter, it’s been a resounding success. As of publication, it has passed $5 million. During an AMA on Reddit, creator Yu Suzuki revealed that, “If we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality. At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world.”
While the Kickstarter is short of $10 million, crowdfunding isn’t the only source of funding for the game. Sony has already said it will help fund and develop Shenmue 3. That being said, it’s still unclear what the budget for the game is or what kind of backing it has outside of the crowdfunding campaign.
Regardless of how much money ends up being raised, there’s no disputing that fans of the series are excited for the final product, which is set to be released in December 2017.
Enjoy the article? You’ll love our video. Check out the latest from DotGeek on YouTube and every Monday and Wednesday on Twitch at 2 CT/3 ET.
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.