- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Today 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Today 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Today 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Today 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Today 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Today 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Today 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Today 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Today 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Today 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Today 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Today 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Today 8:34 AM
- How to stream Bellator 218 for free Today 8:00 AM
- Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ is already a meme gold mine Today 7:18 AM
Random ‘Rick and Morty’ fan hits $15,000 jackpot with Szechuan sauce
There’s still time to place a bid.
The saga of McDonald’s Szechuan sauce has taken more bizarre turns than the Rick and Morty episode that inspired its resurgence—and a 64 oz. bottle just sold for more than $15,000.
To quickly recap: At the end of Rick and Morty’s surprise season 3 debut on April Fools, Rick revealed his obsession with the discontinued McDonald’s sauce, used to promote the 1998 Disney movie Mulan. Fans have been clamoring for a taste ever since, with YouTube webseries Binging With Babish trying to recreate the sauce and an original tub selling for $14,700 on eBay.
Holy shit. pic.twitter.com/vNEIfHTmNU
— Justin Roiland (@JustinRoiland) July 30, 2017
According to Mashable, McDonald’s also delivered the sauce to three randomly selected fans, one of which was Robert Workman, a writer for comicbook.com. As tempting as it might have been to break the seal, Workman put the Szechaun sauce up for auction on eBay, and it was signal-boosted by Deadmau5, who claimed to be in a bidding war for it.
am i really in the middle of a bidding war over a 64oz bottle of Szechuan Sauce? yes. i am.
— dead mow cinco (@deadmau5) August 6, 2017
When the bidding started to get out of hand, Workman noted that he’d donate some of the proceeds to charities, including Able Gamers, Extra Life, Take This, and the Ronald McDonald House.
It’s not too late to get your hands on real Szechuan sauce, though. Rick and Morty co-creator is “trolling for charity,” offering the ultimate collector’s item: Rick and Morty Szechuan sauce packets and a portal gun packaged in a C-137 Prime case. All proceeds will benefit Habitat for Humanity, and with just under six hours to go, bidding is currently at $14,600.
Harmon’s background note about the campaign is worth reading in its entirety.
Austin Powell is the managing editor of the Daily Dot. His work focuses on the intersection of entertainment and technology. He previously served as a music columnist for the Austin Chronicle and is the co-author of The Austin Chronicle Music Anthology.