- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘How High 2’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My ex-BFF keeps sliding into my DMs, but I don’t want to be friends Saturday 6:30 AM
- Watch ‘I Am Somebody’s Child: The Regina Louise Story’ for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Real Sociedad for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 149 for free Saturday 5:30 AM
Authenticity seems like a top priority.
Telltale Games made a name for itself developing episodic adventure games based on comics like The Walking Dead and Fables. So when it announced a plan late last year to make a game based off of Minecraft, a lot of people wondered what that might look like.
Well, now we our first peek.
This weekend at Minecon 2015 in London, Telltale Games revealed the first trailer for Minecraft: Story Mode, the studio’s latest episodic adventure. The developer handled The Walking Dead, Fables, and Game of Thrones with aplomb because those rich narrative worlds lend themselves perfectly to the style of adventure games that Telltale is known for. Minecraft, on the other hand, is a game about players creating their own stories, following no script and no formula.
The new Minecraft: Story Mode trailer reveals Patton Oswalt in the game’s lead role. It also appears that game is accurately recreating all the familiar elements from Minecraft: crafting blocks, swords, zombies, Creepers, Nether portals, etc. This first trailer also made us think about The Lego Movie, and how deftly it wove narrative into a world that is also inherently about the stories we create.
Screengrab via Telltale Games/YouTube
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.