- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report 3 Months Ago
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people 3 Months Ago
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Today 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Today 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Today 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Today 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Today 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Today 11:46 AM
- Police officer suspended after video of a handcuffed Delonte West surfaces Today 11:33 AM
- ‘Girls don’t want a boyfriend’ meme leaves boyfriends in 2019 Today 11:21 AM
- Are these tweets about ‘The Bachelor’ or Trump’s impeachment? Today 10:45 AM
- Likely file Saudi prince sent to Jeff Bezos’ to hack his phone revealed Today 10:10 AM
- Will Olivia Jade have to testify against her mother, Lori Loughlin, in bribery trial? Today 10:07 AM
- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ Today 9:26 AM
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? Today 8:59 AM
Instagrammers are flooding the Bronx in New York City to visit the Joker stairs, as seen in the movie, and locals seem far from excited about it.
Photos taken by Joker fans on the stairs, connecting Shakespeare and Anderson avenues at West 167th Street, run the gamut from normal to next level. In the movie, Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker dances down the stairs.
joaquin as joker dancing and smoking on those stairs is one of the best things to ever happen in movies. pic.twitter.com/mkP0RDJTYJ— kaz. (@joaquinsjoker) October 19, 2019
For the most part, people just try to imitate the scene, then post the pictures to Instagram and Twitter as proof.
“Went to them Joker Stairs,” Twitter user @MEtriAndReyes wrote, along with his photos imitating the super villain’s poses.
WENT TO THEM JOKER STAIRS 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡 pic.twitter.com/eK109XYWU4— I'm trying to aliven't (@MetriAndReyes) October 12, 2019
"DINNERS READY!"— Boba Fetty Wap (@The_Green_Blur) October 19, 2019
*Me coming down the stairs after seeing Joker*: pic.twitter.com/fF1CG3gIEe
Cosplayers, like Veronica Rae, have gone all out to recreate the scene.
But Bronx residents aren’t so happy about all of the attention their borough is getting from tourists and are going to great lengths to convince Joker fans that a trip to the stairs is a bad idea
“Legally as a Bronx resident you’re allowed and encouraged to tax anyone visiting the Joker stairs,” Desus Nice, from Showtime’s Desus & Mero, tweeted.
legally as a bronx resident you're allowed and encouraged to tax anyone visiting the joker stairs— Desus Nice (@desusnice) October 17, 2019
Others are joking that Instagrammers are at risk of being robbed.
“Please make sure you’re carrying cash. Everything around that area is cash only so make sure you have a lot of cash. And don’t be worried about the locals around the area they’re nice individuals,” Twitter user @BornHooligan_ wrote.
Please make sure you’re carrying cash. Everything around that area is cash only so make sure you have a lot of cash. And don’t be worried about the locals around the area they’re nice individuals https://t.co/hDmAs6iq2u— Serg (@BornHooligan_) October 18, 2019
Instagram influencers being robbed on the Joker stairs is content to look forward to.— Azumanga Daioh Down With The Sickness AMV (@viperwave) October 19, 2019
White ppl finna travel to the Bronx to dance on them stairs like the Joker and end up getting robbed, I love it😂😂😂— The Name’s Bond....Vaga Bond (@OBC4LBenji) October 19, 2019
If y’all keep going to “the joker stairs” y’all gonna end up getting robbed and ya ass beat and really look like a clown, watch. pic.twitter.com/qMG9vhatGJ— The Lord 🥀 (@KalelFelder) October 18, 2019
Everybody not from the Bronx wanna visit those joker stairs till ya get robbed in that area shit not 42nd 😭— Will (@willlopez23) October 16, 2019
Some also took notice that the stairs now seem to be called “Joker Stairs” on Google Maps.
“Those awful stairs on 167 are now renamed ‘the Joker stairs; so I just want to remind everyone that the bronx is not a friendly place for tourist attractions you will get robbed beloved,” Twitter user @kailaniskye wrote in a PSA to anyone thinking about visiting.
It’s really called the Joker Stairs on google now (I just searched it).— Maybe: Candy (@_cvndy) October 15, 2019
Please, if you’re reading this and you’re not from around here (or ever been to the Bronx, Yankee stadium does not count) PLEASE DO NOT COME HERE.
Bronx Resident pic.twitter.com/s5u9gVPtyM
those awful stairs on 167 are now renamed “the joker stairs” so i just want to remind everyone that the bronx is not a friendly place for tourist attractions you will get robbed beloved pic.twitter.com/YJuiiAreEM— bella goth (@kailaniskye) October 15, 2019
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.