- Logan Paul insists he’s pro-choice after ‘5 abortions’ controversy 3 Years Ago
- Save your Android from itself: How to delete Android apps 3 Years Ago
- Meme video of Trump shooting politicians sparks outrage Today 8:53 AM
- Virtual Reality: Sex, marriage, and the future of relationships Today 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My boyfriend is addicted to porn. Should I leave him? Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Packers vs. Lions on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:15 PM
- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Sunday 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Sunday 8:20 AM
Actor John Barrowman is keen to film another season of Torchwood, as fans will undoubtedly have noticed from his many convention appearances and recent return in the Doctor Who/Torchwood audio dramas.
Unfortunately, Torchwood is still very, very canceled. And Barrowman thinks Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat is to blame.
Last week, a video surfaced of Barrowman speaking at Honolulu Comic Con. It shows him commenting about “executives” who are supposedly blocking a new season from being made, a dig that most fans interpreted as a reference to Moffat.
Barrowman went further during a recent interview with the Radio Times, talking about Torchwood‘s renewal being blocked by “people’s egos” and “politics” at the BBC.
These hints basically amount to a conspiracy theory, but the idea spread because it’s not entirely implausible. With the exception of the 50th anniversary special episode, Moffat made a noticable effort to detach his era of Doctor Who from the previous four seasons when Russell T. Davies was in charge. Torchwood barely exists in Moffat’s Doctor Who, which went back to using UNIT, the government agency from the days of “old” Who.
On the other hand, there are plenty of simpler explanations for why Torchwood hasn’t been brought back for a fifth season. The final season wasn’t very well received, Russell T. Davies has moved on to other projects, and the BBC is about to launch a new Doctor Who spinoff, Class.
While Barrowman didn’t actually mention Moffat by name, Moffat got the message loud and clear. In a statement to Doctor Who News, he said that he was “bewildered, and a little cross” about the rumor.
“You may be aware that John Barrowman has been saying, publicly, that I’ve been blocking a new series of Torchwood. To be very clear – I haven’t blocked it; I wouldn’t block it; I wouldn’t even be ABLE to block it. I didn’t even know a revival had been mooted till I read about it on the Internet. As John perfectly well knows, it’s not my show and I could no more prevent it happening that he could cancel Sherlock.”
He added that he enjoyed Torchwood, and would be happy to see more of the show. We look forward to John Barrowman’s next volley in this unexpectedly public spat.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor