- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Today 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
This article contains spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War.
Tessa Thompson’s star is on the rise, and her role in Thor: Ragnarok is a big part of that. The tough, hard-drinking Valkyrie quickly became a fan-favorite character, leading to a Tessa Thompson-influenced makeover in the comics. But where was she in Avengers: Infinity War? Did she die offscreen?
At a Q&A with fans this weekend, Infinity War co-director Joe Russo revealed that Valkyrie survived. This was a major concern after the film’s opening scene, which saw the Asgardian refugee ship destroyed by Thanos. (Incidentally, Thor director Kenneth Branagh provided the voice for the Asgardian distress signal, the first person we hear in the movie.)
Apparently half of the Asgardians fled the ship on escape pods, including Valkyrie. This fits Thanos’s M.O., because he typically kills half of each planet’s population. A grim epilogue to Thor: Ragnarok‘s uplifting ending, but it’s certainly better than the all-out bloodbath suggested by that opening scene.
When asked why Valkyrie isn’t seen onscreen, Thompson joked that she’s at a bar. Possibly with Korg? There’s still no word on whether Taika Waititi‘s CGI alien character made it out alive.
they are at the bar ... ? 🍻 https://t.co/Mm5OWsPdEZ— Tessa Thompson (@TessaThompson_x) April 25, 2018
Taika Waititi and Chris Hemsworth have talked about potentially making a fourth Thor movie, but this is by no means a done deal. Thor is one of the first-generation Avengers, and Avengers 4 could mark the end of his tenure in the franchise.
However, we may still see Valkyrie elsewhere. She could show up in another strand of the MCU, and in 2017, she joined Scarlett Johansson, Zoe Saldana, Pom Klementieff, Karen Gillan, and Brie Larson to pitch an all-female team movie to Marvel producer Kevin Feige. We’re not very optimistic about that actually happening, but at the very least, Marvel must know how popular Valkyrie and Tessa Thompson are with the fans.
- The top 20 female superheroes of all time
- Is a Marvel Unlimited subscription worth it?
- Marvel vs. DC: Which comics universe reigns supreme?
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
H/T Digital Spy
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor