- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a triple crown winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
This article contains spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War.
Tessa Thompson’s star is on the rise, and her role in Thor: Ragnarok is a big part of that. The tough, hard-drinking Valkyrie quickly became a fan-favorite character, leading to a Tessa Thompson-influenced makeover in the comics. But where was she in Avengers: Infinity War? Did she die offscreen?
At a Q&A with fans this weekend, Infinity War co-director Joe Russo revealed that Valkyrie survived. This was a major concern after the film’s opening scene, which saw the Asgardian refugee ship destroyed by Thanos. (Incidentally, Thor director Kenneth Branagh provided the voice for the Asgardian distress signal, the first person we hear in the movie.)
Apparently half of the Asgardians fled the ship on escape pods, including Valkyrie. This fits Thanos’s M.O., because he typically kills half of each planet’s population. A grim epilogue to Thor: Ragnarok‘s uplifting ending, but it’s certainly better than the all-out bloodbath suggested by that opening scene.
When asked why Valkyrie isn’t seen onscreen, Thompson joked that she’s at a bar. Possibly with Korg? There’s still no word on whether Taika Waititi‘s CGI alien character made it out alive.
they are at the bar ... ? 🍻 https://t.co/Mm5OWsPdEZ— Tessa Thompson (@TessaThompson_x) April 25, 2018
Taika Waititi and Chris Hemsworth have talked about potentially making a fourth Thor movie, but this is by no means a done deal. Thor is one of the first-generation Avengers, and Avengers 4 could mark the end of his tenure in the franchise.
However, we may still see Valkyrie elsewhere. She could show up in another strand of the MCU, and in 2017, she joined Scarlett Johansson, Zoe Saldana, Pom Klementieff, Karen Gillan, and Brie Larson to pitch an all-female team movie to Marvel producer Kevin Feige. We’re not very optimistic about that actually happening, but at the very least, Marvel must know how popular Valkyrie and Tessa Thompson are with the fans.
- The top 20 female superheroes of all time
- Is a Marvel Unlimited subscription worth it?
- Marvel vs. DC: Which comics universe reigns supreme?
- The complete Marvel Studios movie calendar
H/T Digital Spy
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor