- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history 2 Months Ago
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn 2 Months Ago
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 2 Months Ago
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Today 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Today 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Today 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Today 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Today 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Today 1:16 PM
- Don’t want a Fitbit? These step tracker apps got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- Protesters sing ‘Baby Shark’ to soothe frightened toddler Today 12:47 PM
- Who is Babu Frik, the adorable, teeny mechanic from ‘Rise of Skywalker’? Today 12:36 PM
- Senators push for social media data portability Today 12:11 PM
- ‘Stage Fright’ is a therapeutic lens into Jenny Slate’s weird world Today 11:34 AM
- Congressmen call on Twitter to shut down accounts for Hamas, Hezbollah Today 11:12 AM
Hulu is already working on its follow-up to The Handmaid’s Tale.
According to Time, Hulu and MGM are adapting Margaret Atwood’s upcoming novel The Testaments, though it’s not clear if it will be part of the Handmaid’s Tale series or a separate series. Showrunner Bruce Miller will be involved in some capacity.
The Testaments is told partially from the point of view of Aunt Lydia, played by Ann Dowd in the series, and will be set 15 years after Offred’s final appearance in the 1985 novel. In season 3, Aunt Lydia was given a backstory, but many viewers had already checked out by season 2, as the fiction of the show cut little too close to reality. The tone-deaf co-opting of the aesthetic by celebrities and brands didn’t help.
The book is set to be released Sept. 10, though according to several angry tweets, the book’s embargo date was broken by Amazon on Wednesday. “A very small number of copies” were sent out, according to Penguin Random House, though smaller retailers reportedly had to follow much stricter guidelines.
A very small number of copies of Margaret Atwood’s The Testaments were distributed early due to a retailer error which has now been rectified. We appreciate that readers and booksellers have been waiting patiently for the much-anticipated sequel...— Penguin Random House (@PenguinRH_News) September 4, 2019
Back in May, I signed an embargo agreement on behalf of my bookstore stating that I would "ensure that [#TheTestaments] is stored in a monitored and locked, secured area and not placed on the selling floor prior to the on-sale date."— Lexi Beach (@lexiatwork) September 4, 2019
The Handmaid’s Tale has been renewed for a fourth season. The Testaments adaptation does not have a release date yet.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.