- Fortnite streamer Tfue sues gaming organization FaZe Clan over contract dispute Today 12:28 AM
- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Monday 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Monday 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Monday 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Monday 11:36 AM
Ghost is returning for season 8 of ‘Game of Thrones’—and fans are stressed
Game of Thrones is, among many things, a stressful show to watch. In between betrayals, battles, and bouts of incest, fans can count on their favorite characters being mercilessly slaughtered whether they’re barely onscreen or are prominent leads.
Jon Snow’s direwolf was conspicuously AWOL in season 7, despite a notable appearance from Arya Stark’s furry companion, Nymeria. But in a recent Huffington Post interview, Game of Thrones visual effects supervisor Joe Bauer said that Ghost has “a fair amount of screen time in season 8.”
This might initially seem like great news. Unfortunately, fans have begun to realize that while Ghost’s absence left a wolf-sized hole in all our hearts, he may have been safer behind the scenes. Bringing him to the forefront of the action might solidify his place on the list of beloved characters slated for death.
— Alec Rhodes 😘🤠 (@AlecWRhodes) October 1, 2018
Prayer circle for ghost when season 8 premieres. pic.twitter.com/O9gdLs9ZxE
— Sara Samora (@SaraESamora) September 30, 2018
If they do that it will only be to completely destroy his ties to his Stark heritage. Other than Arya, Sansa, & Bran everything else tying him to the North has been ripped away from him. His crown as KitN, his identity as Ned Starks son, & now Ghost. #HouseStark #atimeforwolves pic.twitter.com/OHKMS6yozl
— Zoey (@knight_zoey) October 1, 2018
On the bright side, even if everyone’s favorite direwolf is doomed, at least he’ll probably go out in a blaze of glory. Bauer told the Huffington Post that Ghost is “very present and does some pretty cool things in season 8,” which bodes well for the poor pup. After all, between the White Walkers, the newly-created ice dragon, the treacherous Lannisters, and a much-needed Stark-direwolf reunion, there should be plenty of action to go around.
Winter has come. Hopefully Ghost’s untimely end hasn’t arrived with it.
Anna Maria Ward is the social media editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on the intersections of entertainment, pop culture, and social justice. She previously contributed to the Houston Chronicle and Orange magazine.