- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ 4 Years Ago
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
Everything should sparkle on New Year’s, especially your manicure.
A brand new year is almost here! Whether you plan to celebrate the occasion out partying with friends or watching the ball drop from a comfy spot on your sofa, it’s always fun to dress up a little to start the new year right. Why not use the occasion to celebrate your favorite fandom, too?
With a little nail art, you can add just the right amount of geeky cheer to your outfit—and you don’t have to be an expert nail artist to do it either. Thanks to tutorials on YouTube, it’s never been easier to find help for creating your ultimate geeky manicure.
Here are five ideas for nerdy New Year’s nails!
What better way to roll into a new year then with the adorable droid from Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Strategically paint BB-8 on a few of your nails while using the droid’s signature orange and white colors on the rest for a style that will be obvious to fellow fans.
You can catch everyone’s attention with these Pokémon nails. Transform each nail into an element of the classic water type species by following the steps shown in this video and shared in its description. If Squirtle isn’t your pokémon of choice, no problem! The YouTube channel IHaveACupcake has a number of tutorials for others including Charmander and Umbreon so you can pick just the right type to match your personality as a trainer or the colors of your outfit.
Studio Ghibli fans can just follow this tutorial to create nails inspired by My Neighbor Totoro. Each nail features a familiar image seen in the movie from Totoro to the soot sprites! All the materials you need are listed in the description as well as shown clearly at the beginning of the video so you can get all set up before adding the magical world to your look.
Exterminate boring nails and take the Doctor’s ultimate enemies with you on your New Year’s adventures! The great thing about this tutorial is that you can follow the steps, but also customize the look by changing the colors and other details. The nail artist Jessie mentions that she went with bright colors so they would stand out, but that doesn’t mean you have to. We’ve seen so many different Daleks over the years in Doctor Who, there’s no reason you should resist tweaking this to represent your favorites.
Hey! Listen! You can be bolder with your choice of nail art and go 3D with this design inspired by the classic video game. These nails won’t be as easy as the others and requires more materials which are listed with the video. If you give them a try though, we’re sure you’ll be the talk of the new year!
Screenshot via Disney Style/YouTube
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.