- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam 5 Years Ago
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 5 Years Ago
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men 5 Years Ago
- Every house in ‘Skyrim’ and how to get them all 5 Years Ago
- How to stream all the Week 3 NFL action Today 12:14 PM
- Taylor Swift has some thoughts on the end of ‘Game of Thrones’ Today 12:14 PM
- Notre Dame, Georgia, and how to stream college football’s must-watch Week 4 Today 11:52 AM
- Prominent Democratic donor Ed Buck charged with running drug house tied to fatal overdoses Today 11:45 AM
- Merriam-Webster recognizes use of singular ‘they’ for nonbinary people Today 11:39 AM
- VSCO dogs are here, and they’re just barely putting up with it Today 11:38 AM
- Everything you need to know about Juul batteries Today 11:26 AM
- Trump is trying to use Beto as a scapegoat for inaction on gun control Today 11:18 AM
- Instagram influencer says her account was banned over ‘sexual’ pregnancy photo Today 10:23 AM
- YouTube time traveler emotionally describes floating cities in the year 2300 Today 10:15 AM
- Trump’s former campaign manager admits to lying to the media—gets CNN appearance Today 10:15 AM
Despite fans’ best efforts, NBC pulls the plug on ‘Community’
Fans are inconsolable.
The darkest timeline, first referenced in one of Community’s best (and most ambitious) episodes, “Remedial Chaos Theory,” seems like both a bleak and odd place. Pierce died, Jeff lost an arm, Shirley became an alcoholic, Annie went insane, and Troy destroyed his larynx after eating a gnome that was on fire.
But for many fans, the darkest timeline is actually cancellation, a thought echoed by star Joel McHale.
— Joel McHale (@joelmchale) May 9, 2014
In the midst of renewal season for network television, Community was canceled Friday after airing five seasons. It’s even worse than when Abed found out Cougar Town got pushed back.
It falls one season and a movie short of the fandom’s “six seasons and a movie” mantra, a phrase that turned from a throwaway joke in a clip episode to the main rallying cry for everyone from creator Dan Harmon to the newest fans. Even though the show never did particularly well in the ratings, it kept getting renewed.
But now that it’s gone (at least until another network or Hulu or Netflix give it a second life)? It’s total chaos.
Despite initial reports, fans remained hopeful, at least until executive producer Chris McKenna confirmed the sad news.
@crupicrupicrupi I wish I could, but it’s official.
— Chris McKenna (@cpmckenna) May 9, 2014
It’s a show that would’ve never gotten as far as it did without its fans, and despite what happens next, the show’s cast and crew are grateful for the five seasons they did get. And the condolence tweets are pouring in.
Twitter isn’t big enough to hold my condolences and more importantly my gratitude to the best fans, cast and crew in TV history. Excelsior.
— Dan Harmon (@danharmon) May 9, 2014
— Gillian Jacobs (@GillianJacobs) May 9, 2014
Welp, the time has come. #Community has been cancelled. Still, FIVE seasons for a bubble show is MIRACULOUS! Much love to you all! 🙂 xoxo
— yvette nicole brown (@YNB) May 9, 2014
Plenty of shows have been canceled in the past few days, but few sparked such a certain fervor from those who watched it as Community. They’re going through the five stages of grief all at once on Twitter, and NBC is the villain.
Simply put, they’re inconsolable.
If you’re snarking on Community being canceled, then we are not friends today, because you don’t have taste. See you tomorrow.
— John Hodgman (@hodgman) May 9, 2014
— Community Warriors (@communiess) May 9, 2014
COMMUNITY IS LIKELY ONE OF HULK’S FAVORITE SHOWS OF ALL TIME. TO SAY IT WILL BE MISSED IS AS BIG AN UNDERSTATEMENT AS YOU CAN MAKE.
— FILM CRIT HULK (@FilmCritHULK) May 9, 2014
People are hoping, in spite of the dark future, that someone else will pick Community up for a sixth season. There’s enough buzz for it right now. The fans want it.
Think it’s likely Netflix, Amazon, or the like will bid to revive just-cancelled “Community” in some form. Five seasons and a movie?
— Zach Seward (@zseward) May 9, 2014
A streaming service that wants to plant its flag & make some noise should commission a 6th season of #Community. I think it could happen.
— Mo Ryan (@moryan) May 9, 2014
And where would the show’s writers be without its humor?
@abobrow You wait til AFTER we’re canceled to finally write something funny?
— Chris McKenna (@cpmckenna) May 9, 2014
Photo via NBC/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.