- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
‘The Winds of Winter’ will come out in 2016, according to one of its editors
Fans are taking it with a grain of salt.
There’s still no official release date for The Winds of Winter as the sixth season of Game of Thrones continues filming, but it could come as early as next year, according to the Spanish editor of A Song of Ice and Fire.
The Spanish Game of Thrones fansite Los Siete Reinos is reporting that Alejo Cuervo, who is an editor at Ediciones Gigamesh (which owns the rights to publish ASOIAF in Spanish), recently did an interview with El Mon RAC1 to talk about Game of Thrones as well as The Winds of Winter. Within the interview, which is in Catalan, Cuervo discusses recent filming in Girona and even dropped some hints about when the next book will come out.
Not only will The Winds of Winter come out in 2016, Cuervo says, the Spanish version won’t be delayed too much because of translation.
Radio Host: The sixth book will be?
Cuervo: It is expected next year.
Radio Host: In English, but in Spanish when will it be?
Cuervo: We have been promised the manuscript in advance of the release in English which we will translate, there won’t be a big difference.
Radio Host: But you are equally sure it will be next year?
Cuervo: Well, let’s see, confidant…but a meteor could fall.
This isn’t the first time we’ve heard information from editors regarding the release of The Winds of Winter. Back in January, George R.R. Martin’s U.K. editor confirmed that it was not on the publishing schedule for 2015 back in January, which led Martin to explain that he doesn’t schedule the publication of his books until the date is set in stone.
The fandom, already having to wait more than four years for a new book in ASOIAF, is taking this with a grain of salt—although some are already getting hyped for the potential release. The r/asoiaf subreddit, knowing Cuervo’s position and authority, is cautiously optimistic.
Hmm, GRRM’s Spanish editor is saying spring 2016 for The Winds of Winter. Only 5 years after Dance with Dragons.
— Logan Selbert (@JaxSLogan) September 9, 2015
My heart and soul can’t handle The Winds of Winter release rumors. I can’t survive this.
— Victoria Aveyard (@VictoriaAveyard) September 9, 2015
Martin’s estimation of his own progress supports Cuervo’s claims. He said himself back in April that he would like to have The Winds of Winter published before Game of Thrones’s sixth season starts next spring, telling Entertainment Weekly that it “has been important to me all along.” Martin has even turned down multiple convention appearances and did not write an episode for Game of Thrones season 6 in order to write The Winds of Winter, which he also did back in season 5.
But ultimately, we won’t have a definitive answer on when The Winds of Winter will be published until we hear it from Martin himself. He reiterated this point back in December after fans speculated a release date announcement following some themed tweets that went up on his Twitter account.
Look, I’ve said before, and I will say again, I don’t play games with news about the books. I know how many people are waiting, how long they have been waiting, how anxious they are. I am still working on WINDS. When it’s done, I will announce it here. There won’t be any clues to decipher, any codes or hidden meanings, the announcement will be straightforward and to the point. I won’t time it to coincide with Xmas or Valentine’s Day or Lincoln’s Birthday, the book will not rise from the dead with Jesus on Easter Sunday. When it is done, I will say that’s it is done, on whatever day I happen to finish.
I don’t know how I can make it any clearer.
H/T Watchers on the Wall | Illustration by Max Fleishman
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.