- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend 6 Years Ago
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
Rob Ford closes out January with a jaywalking ticket
Of course, Ford’s wild night was documented spectaculary on Instagram.
Embattled Toronto mayor Rob Ford, lover of crack cocaine and tickles, ended an already wild month with a bang and a jaywalking ticket. Ford was in Vancouver for the funeral of the mother of his former staffer, David Price, and hit a bar called the Foggy Dew afterward.
The place was packed. Phones came out, and #robford selfies began to hit social media. “When you’re at the bar and #robford shows up #foggydew #legit #drinking #party #epic #epic #fun #party #vancity,” one patron wrote on Instagram. Another: “Best mayor ever.. just going off in the club #ROBFORD.”
Ford eventually lost sight of the crosswalk, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police ticketed the pride of Toronto for jaywalking.
Speaking to the Toronto Sun, Ford denied Twitter rumors that he was cited for public intoxication as well. All he’d had to drink was a Diet Coke, he said. It doesn’t hurt that he really does look like this when he’s sober:
A photo of Rob Ford tonight, during the time he was reportedly being ticketed for jaywalking and public intoxication. pic.twitter.com/Q7yTo76SPE
— Justin McElroy (@j_mcelroy) February 1, 2014
Definitely just partied with Rob Ford hahah pic.twitter.com/8xahEDRH9j
— Cherissa Kittmer (@CherissaKittmer) February 1, 2014
Here’s what an Instagram search for #robford brings up:
Big month for Ford. As the Wire notes:
He announced his run for re-election (despite…well, everything), was filmed drunkenly swearing in a Jamaican brogue at a fast food restaurant in Toronto, and got stuck in an elevator while running an hour late to a speech. As it’s well-known, 2013 wasn’t so great either.
Hey, when drunk fans flock to take selfies with you, your reelection chances aren’t totally dead.
Photo via Joseph Morris/Flickr
A former assigning editor for the Daily Dot, Cooper Fleishman's work focused on the web culture and niche internet communities. He joined Mic as a senior editor in 2015. His work has been published by HyperVocal and the Good Men Project, and he previously copyedited for Rolling Stone, Men's Journal, and Us Weekly.