- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Saturday 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Saturday 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Saturday 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Saturday 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Saturday 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Saturday 6:30 AM
Is Sen. Ted Cruz the Zodiac Killer? No—but his latest tweet has us concerned.
While Cruz has never specifically denied being the infamous mass murderer, the Texas Republican on Wednesday fueled speculation by tweeting out an image of the cryptogram the Zodiac Killer sent to the San Francisco Chronicle in 1969.
Cruz’s tweet came in response to Nebraska Republican Sen. Ben Sasse, who referenced President Donald Trump’s false 2016 presidential campaign accusation that Cruz’s father was involved in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Yes, there’s a lot going on here.
It all started when Sasse spilled a soda on Cruz in the Senate today.
If I were sitting with the son of the guy who killed Kennedy I might do worse than spill some Dr Pepper.— Neil Hansen (@njh2005) October 18, 2017
full disclosure:— Ben Sasse (@BenSasse) October 18, 2017
i was wearing my "Lee Harvey Oswald Was Framed" t-shirt https://t.co/93lKIizkVO
The Zodiac Killer was a serial killer who claimed to have murdered dozens of victims in California during the 1960s and 1970s. His identity was never discovered. Speculation that Cruz is the Zodiac Killer—an impossibility given that he was born after the murdering spree began—has been a meme for years. Some even believe Google attempted to cover up the wild rumor by tweaking its search suggestions for “Ted Cruz” and others joked that CNN dropped proof of his “real” identity when the senator dropped out of the 2016 Republican presidential primary in May 2016.
Others have taken the joke so far as to print “Ted Cruz was the Zodiac Killer” T-shirts to raise funds for abortion services—something the conservative lawmaker staunchly opposes.
Alas, Cruz is not the Zodiac Killer—but he clearly isn’t doing anything to help that old joke die.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.