- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case 1 Month Ago
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder 1 Month Ago
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Today 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting Today 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Today 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Today 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Today 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Today 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Today 10:40 AM
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular Today 10:24 AM
- YouTube permanently bans ‘news’ channel that said impeachment was ‘Jew coup’ Today 10:21 AM
- FIFA pro banned from all EA games following threatening rant Today 10:16 AM
- Lucasfilm announces new franchise of ‘Star Wars’ tie-in books and comics Today 9:33 AM
- YouTube yanks revenue from controversial star who faked his girlfriend’s death Today 9:26 AM
- Facebook can ignore misleading political ads. This Democrat wants to change that Today 9:08 AM
On Friday, the United States Space Force (USSF) shared the very first look at the Space Force uniforms.
“The first #SpaceForce utility uniform nametapes have touched down in the
Pentagon,” the Space Force tweeted, along with a photo of a Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) for a four-star general. The uniform is woodland-patterned camouflage, and the sleeve has both an American flag and a United States Space Command patch on it. The official uniform makes the Space Force the eighth uniformed service in the U.S.
Many are confused by the apparent uselessness of a woodland-patterned camouflage Space Force uniform and are suggesting that true camouflage for the Space Force would look, well, space-like.
“Shouldn’t space force camo be black with little stars on it?” Kyle Cassidy questioned.
Shouldn't space force camo be black with little stars on it? https://t.co/5xWRbRoiR4— kyle cassidy (@kylecassidy) January 18, 2020
Another Twitter user shared a photo of themselves in space cat leggings and said they were better dressed for the space force.
Trump’s Space Force troops wearing camo in space is perhaps the strongest evidence yet that Idiocracy is a documentary https://t.co/WG1Yo7fAIb— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) January 18, 2020
Don't you think something like this would be better camouflage? pic.twitter.com/hJqRka9rUC— EJL (@EJL1984) January 18, 2020
gonna sell my cool space camo design to the space force for a billion dollars pic.twitter.com/gi0gRpakyQ— Emperor Ovaltine (@KyleMaurer) January 18, 2020
The Space Force being camo = little kids playing hide & seek pic.twitter.com/RR8xR2vRIp— Michael Tannenbaum (@iamTannenbaum) January 18, 2020
“You gonna be hiding behind a fucking space bush or something?” Twitter user @PostCultRev questioned.
You gonna be hiding behind a fucking space bush or something? https://t.co/XLJZWzhyhI— Post-Culture Review (@PostCultRev) January 18, 2020
Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed with the camo. And considering your leader, this is probably more on point. pic.twitter.com/aw4q9KT1MP— Rise of the Alien Queen (@rise_alien) January 18, 2020
People are so confused that the Space Force had to issue an explanation.
“USSF is utilizing current Army/Air Force uniforms, saving costs of designing/producing a new one. Members will look like their joint counterparts they’ll be working with, on the ground,” the Space Force wrote in response to one user who questioned, “Camo in space? WTF?”
USSF is utilizing current Army/Air Force uniforms, saving costs of designing/producing a new one.— United States Space Force (@SpaceForceDoD) January 18, 2020
Members will look like their joint counterparts they’ll be working with, on the ground.
Nevertheless, the uniforms are drawing a slew of comparisons to the battle on the fictional forest moon, Endor, which takes place in Return of the Jedi.
“People are mocking the Pentagon’s new camo Space Force uniforms as if the Battle of Endor never happened,” Twitter user @flimflamma wrote.
*sees Endor is trending*— Echo, The Joker Shill (@bad2_is) January 18, 2020
*sees it's about the U.S. space force costumes looking like the FOREST MOON OF ENDOR and not actually endor* pic.twitter.com/03jtTZqw4O
People are mocking the Pentagon's new camo Space Force uniforms as if the Battle of Endor never happened pic.twitter.com/jqtCVtJdvu— Guy (@flimflamma) January 18, 2020
With this woodland camo, the Space Force is ready to take the fight to the forest moon of Endor. https://t.co/seQKB00qhR— Bhangbhangduc (@bhangbhangducx) January 18, 2020
Say what you will about the new space force camouflage, but when the Space Force deploys to Endor they’ll be the ones laughing. https://t.co/66TT4b7Esy— Jeffrey Lewis (@ArmsControlWonk) January 18, 2020
Clearly you’ve never been to Endor— andy cheung (@whereandy) January 18, 2020
This is not the first time the Space Force has spawned memes, and it surely won’t be the last. People similarily memed the Space Force in 2018 when it was merely a proposal. As the Space Force begins to materialize, more memes likely will too.
Eilish O’Sullivan is the news wire editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.