- Black man films ‘Crosswalk Cathy’ yelling racist slurs at him Tuesday 6:47 PM
- Guerrilla artists turn John Oliver billboard ad into right-wing meme Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Netflix lines up unnecessarily good cast for ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for Mötley Crüe biopic ‘The Dirt’—and the cast is wild Tuesday 3:41 PM
- QAnon’s repetitive posts are alienating even his most ardent supporters Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Tuesday 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Tuesday 12:07 PM
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Tuesday 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Tuesday 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Tuesday 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Tuesday 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Tuesday 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Tuesday 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Tuesday 10:23 AM
California prosecutor who said Maxine Waters should be ‘shot’ placed on leave
The comments are highly offensive.
Michael Selyem, a deputy district attorney in California, has been placed on administrative leave after the discovery of offensive comments he left on social media about Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) and others.
Selyem called Waters a “loud-mouthed cunt,” and added that “you would think someone would have shot this bitch by now…,” the Sun reports.
The comment was left after Waters encouraged her supporters to confront members of President Donald Trump’s administration in public—remarks that caused intense backlash among conservatives online and led to the lawmaker receiving death threats.
In another post under a Brietbart article on Facebook, the prosecutor said he was in favor of “white males” immigrating into the United States, but not “terrorist assholes.”
Other social media posts highlighted by the news outlet included Selyem attacking former First Lady Michelle Obama—by posting a fake picture of her holding a sign that said “Trump grabbed my penis”—and Hillary Clinton.
In a statement released earlier this week, the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s office said it was told about the social media comments in late June and started a personnel investigation. Selyem was placed on administrative leave until the the District Attorney’s office finishes its investigation.
The office said Seylem could face termination as a result of the investigation.
“The San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office does not condone hate, discrimination or incitement of violence. Our community and the entire criminal justice system depends on having fair, ethical, and unbiased prosecutors,” the office wrote in the statement.
Michael Ramos, the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office, told the Washington Post he was concerned that Seylem’s past cases could be challenged, but added that there wasn’t evidence bias was involved with his work.
You can read all of the San Bernardino Sun‘s report here.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).