- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Reddit bans popular deep state conspiracy forum for ‘inciting violence’
In response, #DiscreditReddit popped up on Twitter.
Reddit drew the ire of far-right users on Wednesday night when it banned r/CBTS_stream, a subreddit dedicated to speculating and discussing the posts of “QAnon,” an internet user who some believe is a leaker within the so-called “deep state.”
The subreddit, which stands for “Calm Before The Storm,” had more than 20,000 subscribers on Wednesday. The community discussed the cryptic posts written by someone calling themselves “QAnon” on websites such as 4chan, among other topics. Many subscribers to r/CBTS_stream and other QAnon-based communities online believe QAnon is a member of the Trump administration leaking information. The general thrust of the leaks seem to be leading toward the claim that Trump is staging a massive purge of “deep state” members of the government.
Recently, the subreddit feverishly discussed the #HRCVideo, a QAnon tip about a video involving Hillary Clinton that was “impossible to defend” and “toxic to those connected.” The community began speculating that the video was from Anthony Weiner‘s laptop—Weiner was married to Clinton aide Huma Abedin—and that news coverage of “deep fakes,” videos that use technology to superimpose people’s faces onto other bodies, was only to create a “narrative” to discredit the apparently forthcoming video.
Reddit told the Daily Dot that r/CBTS_stream was banned for violating the website’s content policy, including “encouraging or inciting violence and posting personal and confidential information.”
“Reddit is the home to some of the most authentic conversations online. We strive to be a welcoming, open platform for all by trusting our users to maintain an environment that cultivates genuine conversation,” Reddit spokesperson told the Daily Dot in an email. “This community was banned due to repeated violation of our content policy, specifically, the prohibition of content that encourages or incites violence and the posting of personal and confidential information.”
It appears that r/CBTS_stream isn’t going down without a fight.
On Twitter, an account for the subreddit said it had launched “Operation #DiscreditReddit” claiming the website’s banning of r/CBTS_stream was “murder of the First Amendment.”
REDDIT HAS BANNED OUR SUBREDDIT (https://t.co/CJxWxHz3YJ)!
TIME FOR WAR!
JOIN THE OPERATION #DISCREDITREDDIT DISCORD TO JOIN THE FIGHT: https://t.co/W8UCMSH2GD#DiscreditReddit #EndCensorship #InternetBillOfRights@POTUS@realDonaldTrump@jerome_corsi pic.twitter.com/n21Z4DuJj6
— CBTS_Stream (@cbts_stream) March 14, 2018
Jerome Corsi, an InfoWars blogger who is sympathetic to the QAnon conspiracy theories, joined in the Reddit-bashing.
More CENSORSHIP on INTERNET #DiscredtReddit #EndCensorship #InternetBillOfRights REDDIT today terminated SUBREDDIT @cbts_stream CBTS_stream SUBREDDIT excuse "citing violence" REPORTING on #Qanon8chan & "disclosing personal info" on DEEP STATE criminals ENOUGH @realDonaldTrump https://t.co/TQhyFATex8
— Jerome Corsi (@jerome_corsi) March 14, 2018
But Corsi wasn’t the only one. People on Twitter began claiming Reddit banning r/CBTS_stream was “censorship” and questioned Reddit’s reasoning for banning the community.
— Domo Arigato (@allyouzombies13) March 14, 2018
— ❌kara (@karaeowens) March 14, 2018
— 🇺🇸TPW🇺🇸 (@DrainTheSwamp_Q) March 14, 2018
While r/CBTS_stream was banned, other communities that discuss QAnon tips have not been taken down by Reddit including r/GreatAwakening.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).