- Looking for a Nintendo Switch? Black Friday deals are here 2 Years Ago
- Facebook copies Instagram with experimental ‘Popular Photos’ feature 2 Years Ago
- This iPhone app says it will alert you if you’ve been hacked Today 2:43 PM
- ‘Marvel’s Hero Project’ is the wholesome content 2019 needs Today 2:40 PM
- Get more out of VSCO with VSCO search Today 2:09 PM
- Twitter carves out ‘cause-based’ advocacy exemption in political ads ban Today 2:06 PM
- Disney+ accounts are being hacked—here’s how to protect yourself Today 1:52 PM
- Instagram is hiding likes globally and searching for a ‘well-being’ product researcher Today 1:42 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ opens up its mythology even further in ‘Chapter 2’ Today 12:54 PM
- Want to buy a drone on a budget? We’ve got you covered Today 12:51 PM
- ‘Simpsons’ writer accuses Republicans of stealing Sideshow Bob’s defense Today 12:49 PM
- Keanu Reeves’ appearance in ‘SpongeBob Movie’ trailer quickly becomes a meme Today 12:35 PM
- Charli XCX makes the band in Netflix’s ‘Nasty Cherry’ Today 12:33 PM
- Taylor Swift’s distress call reignites fight with Scooter Braun and former label Today 12:16 PM
- How to disable autoplay for previews and trailers on Disney+ Today 12:10 PM
The post promises that a video that is “impossible to defend” and “toxic to those connected” regarding Hillary Clinton would soon be released.
“Is the stage set for a drop of HRC +++ + +++++ (raw vid 5:5). EX-rvid5774. We have it all. Re_read: stage. The nails in many coffins [liberal undo] [impossible to defend]. [toxic to those connected]. WE must work TOGETHER. WE are only as strong as your VOICE. YOU must organize to BE HEARD. THIS is why they keep you DIVIDED and in the DARK. WEAK. We are here to UNITED and provide TRUTH. Dark to LIGHT. EVIL surrounds us. WE are FIGHTING for you. Where we go one, we go ALL. The choice, to KNOW, will be yours [end].” the post reads.
Soon enough a hashtag, #HRCVideo, began making the rounds on Twitter and Reddit. Several memes have been created showing Clinton and her aide Huma Abedin with #ReleaseTheVideo (a throwback to the #ReleaseTheMemo hashtag) and #HRCVideo being shared.
It’s unclear what exactly the video is supposed to show, but that hasn’t stopped a flood of speculation coming from all corners of the internet.
“NYPD have the video from Weiner’s laptop. Insurance file. Reports say that it made hardened New York Cops cry…. I say bring it on,” wrote one redditor.
The subreddit “Calm Before The Storm,” which discusses information from “QAnon” among other pro-Trump matters, feverishly discussed the possible contents on the #HRCVideo, with some claiming that the recent coverage of so-called “Deep Fakes“—videos that can superimpose people’s faces onto other videos—was only done to create a “narrative” that will be used to discredit the video.
Besides Reddit, the #HRCVideo hashtag began gaining steam on Twitter on Tuesday.
@HillaryClinton can't wait to see your infamous #hrcVideo...— American Citizens First (@sanBENdaHOE) March 6, 2018
you know which one,
the one with HRC +++ + +++++!!!#realDonaldTrump #Qanon #MAGA #Treason #DayOfTheRope #SethRich pic.twitter.com/lPfPYyal3P
I wonder, WHAT could be in the #HRCvideo?— K & K Cattle Company (@knkcattle) March 6, 2018
Pretty sure I DONT want to see it.
Absolutely positive I need to see it.#releasetheHRCvideo Americans need to know.@realDonaldTrump @skoalbandit1776 @michaelroller pic.twitter.com/HgagJE5XfR
While there’s no proof that any such video exists, we’ll keep you posted.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).