- How #TCOT gave birth to Trump 1 Year Ago
- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families Today 5:00 AM
- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
Far-right conspiracy theorists believe a damning Hillary Clinton video will be released today
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
It’s unclear what the supposed video actually shows.
The post promises that a video that is “impossible to defend” and “toxic to those connected” regarding Hillary Clinton would soon be released.
“Is the stage set for a drop of HRC +++ + +++++ (raw vid 5:5). EX-rvid5774. We have it all. Re_read: stage. The nails in many coffins [liberal undo] [impossible to defend]. [toxic to those connected]. WE must work TOGETHER. WE are only as strong as your VOICE. YOU must organize to BE HEARD. THIS is why they keep you DIVIDED and in the DARK. WEAK. We are here to UNITED and provide TRUTH. Dark to LIGHT. EVIL surrounds us. WE are FIGHTING for you. Where we go one, we go ALL. The choice, to KNOW, will be yours [end].” the post reads.
— Will Sommer (@willsommer) March 6, 2018
Soon enough a hashtag, #HRCVideo, began making the rounds on Twitter and Reddit. Several memes have been created showing Clinton and her aide Huma Abedin with #ReleaseTheVideo (a throwback to the #ReleaseTheMemo hashtag) and #HRCVideo being shared.
It’s unclear what exactly the video is supposed to show, but that hasn’t stopped a flood of speculation coming from all corners of the internet.
“NYPD have the video from Weiner’s laptop. Insurance file. Reports say that it made hardened New York Cops cry…. I say bring it on,” wrote one redditor.
The subreddit “Calm Before The Storm,” which discusses information from “QAnon” among other pro-Trump matters, feverishly discussed the possible contents on the #HRCVideo, with some claiming that the recent coverage of so-called “Deep Fakes“—videos that can superimpose people’s faces onto other videos—was only done to create a “narrative” that will be used to discredit the video.
Besides Reddit, the #HRCVideo hashtag began gaining steam on Twitter on Tuesday.
— Ef (@EfCovfefe) March 6, 2018
— American Citizens First (@sanBENdaHOE) March 6, 2018
— Joe Masepoe (@JosephMasepoes) March 6, 2018
— no name James (@teslakey369) March 6, 2018
I wonder, WHAT could be in the #HRCvideo?
Pretty sure I DONT want to see it.
Absolutely positive I need to see it.#releasetheHRCvideo Americans need to know.@realDonaldTrump @skoalbandit1776 @michaelroller pic.twitter.com/HgagJE5XfR
— K & K Cattle Company (@knkcattle) March 6, 2018
While there’s no proof that any such video exists, we’ll keep you posted.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).