- No, the first words of Trump’s tweets don’t match up to lyrics of ‘Break My Stride’ Sunday 10:28 PM
- White woman demanding strangers ‘repent’ for Christ sparks conversation on mental illness and racism Sunday 9:27 PM
- Amtrak employee asked a NAACP lawyer to move from her train seat Sunday 7:54 PM
- Billie Eilish fans riot after being referred to as ‘Avocados’ Sunday 4:37 PM
- Beyhive coming for Sainsbury’s supermarket over Ivy Park shade Sunday 3:17 PM
- Antique store blasted for selling ‘white only’ signs Sunday 1:45 PM
- DaBaby explains altercation with hotel employee after video goes viral Sunday 12:32 PM
- Kanye faces backlash for headlining Christian event with anti-LGBTQ leaders Sunday 10:31 AM
- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? Sunday 10:00 AM
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge Sunday 9:46 AM
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
Fans online are not happy to hear that actress Jessica Biel is apparently now an anti-vaxxer.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Robert F. Kennedy Jr. (@robertfkennedyjr) on
Tuesday, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., an environmental activist who has since pivoted to focus on espousing the idea that vaccines can have adverse effects on “medically fragile” children, appeared at the California State Assembly with some added star power.
Biel joined Kennedy Jr. to lobby against SB 276, a state bill that would limit medical exemptions from vaccinations without approval from a state public health officer.
Further social media posts from other California legislators confirm that Biel was expressing her own personal anti-vaxx views while attending the assembly.
Inklings of Biel’s anti-vaxxer sentiments have been noticed previously. In 2015, an anonymous source told In Touch that Biel and her husband Justin Timberlake would allegedly abstain from vaccinating their then 7-month-old son. “Jessica is refusing to vaccinate him. She feels that vaccination could cause complications,” said the source.
So far, public reaction to this development has not been kind to Biel. People on Twitter are absolutely tearing Biel apart for her decision to help support a movement that puts the lives of children at risk from easily preventable diseases.
Justin Timberlake 2006: I’m bring sexy back— certified idiot (@pariyaaaaaaaa) June 13, 2019
JT and Jessica Biel 2019: I’m bring measles back pic.twitter.com/NnptTr4Vis
jessica biel coming out as an antivaxxer represents a low point for her personally. she was once so respected, and now this? hard to believe this is the same person who heroically appeared in a single episode of johnny bravo in 2004— Pants Consultant (@KrangTNelson) June 13, 2019
I'd say Jessica Biel needs to be cancelled for being anti-vaxx but I haven't seen her in anything since 2006.— Ally Maynard (@missmayn) June 13, 2019
so jessica biel is anti vax now ? pic.twitter.com/pgzng9b1OW— Skittlez ❄️ (@thor_butnotdead) June 12, 2019
And, uhh, I’ll just leave readers to connect the dots on this one.
Okay but she's still only the second worst cast member from 7th Heaven for this.— Brandi Thee Nice Goose (@ItsTheBrandi) June 13, 2019
This morning, however, in the wake of backlash, Biel tried to clarify her position on Instagram, saying she supports vaccines and was just against this one bill.
View this post on Instagram
This week I went to Sacramento to talk to legislators in California about a proposed bill. I am not against vaccinations — I support children getting vaccinations and I also support families having the right to make educated medical decisions for their children alongside their physicians. My concern with #SB276 is solely regarding medical exemptions. My dearest friends have a child with a medical condition that warrants an exemption from vaccinations, and should this bill pass, it would greatly affect their family’s ability to care for their child in this state. That’s why I spoke to legislators and argued against this bill. Not because I don’t believe in vaccinations, but because I believe in giving doctors and the families they treat the ability to decide what’s best for their patients and the ability to provide that treatment. I encourage everyone to read more on this issue and to learn about the intricacies of #SB276. Thank you to everyone who met with me this week to engage in this important discussion!
A post shared by Jessica Biel (@jessicabiel) on
- Justin Timberlake, Jessica Biel, and son Silas stole our hearts this Halloween
- Justin Timberlake opens Oscars with mesmerizing performance—and Jackie Chan loves it
- Jessica Biel is starting a sex-ed video series to empower young women
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Ignacio Martinez is a reporter specializing in online gaming and political communities. His work has previously appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM. He is based in Austin, Texas, and you can follow him on Twitter at @NacioMartinez.