- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
Aspiring rappers used to hustle in parking lots, selling mixtapes out of the trunk of their cars. Now they’re posting on SoundCloud. The streaming platform is where major artists like Drake, Chance the Rapper, and Kanye West drop surprise albums and new tracks for unsuspecting fans, and where meme trends like Trumpwave emerge.
Naturally, you’re going to want to download some of the tracks, playlists, and podcasts you discover on SoundCloud. The question: How?
“Stream-ripping” has become a significant issue for the music industry. In September 2016, an assortment of major labels banded together to fight youtube-mp3.org, a YouTube-to-mp3 converter. If you’re looking to just rip music—reconsider your options. You can stream anything on SoundCloud for free, and many artists make their tracks available for download.
But if streaming isn’t an option, and you really need to grab and go, there are a few different options to seamlessly download audio files from SoundCloud to your computer or phone. Here are some of the best downloading tools we’ve found to get your favorite podcast or remix straight to your music library.
How to download from SoundCloud
1) Download via URL
Once you find the track you wish you download, copy the URL at the top of your browser and paste it into the URL engine. Click the download button and the song will load straight onto your computer. For playlists, the process is the exact same: Listeners just paste the URL in the engine designated for playlists.
2) Google Chrome Extensions
Google Chrome offers Extensions, or apps, that can be downloaded for free via the Google Chrome web store. But here’s the catch: They aren’t super reliable and run the risk of giving your computer a virus. Some extensions, like the KlickAud extension, might as well not be—they simply redirect you to the downloader website. The and SoundCloud Downloader lets users download songs from Soundcloud, but according to reviews, it’s a hit-or-miss operation.
If you’re still looking to download the extension, click the blue button to the left “Add to Chrome” and a file will pop-up asking to add the extension. Accept the addition, and the extension will appear in the top-right corner of the Chrome browser.
There is an option to include a QR code when you click the download button. By checking the box, listeners are able to get the audio file or playlist on their phone as well.
3) Download directly from SoundCloud
Not all tracks are available for download, but some users on SoundCloud already allow the option to download their audio files. In order for the download button to appear with the track, listeners have to be logged into their personal accounts.
If the song is available for download, there will be a download button below the waveform next to the “Share” and “More” button. The download button is customizable for users, so it could redirect to the user’s website or directly download.
- ‘SoundCloud vs Bandcamp’ is the meme that pits hipsters against rappers
- How to download your favorite YouTube videos
- How to get faster Wi-Fi
- YouTube Music is the best streaming app you’re not using
To download a song, just click the button, and the file will download automatically to your computer or bring you to a website where the song is available for free download.
Kristen Hubby is a tech and lifestyle reporter. Her writing focuses on sex, pop culture, streaming entertainment, and social media, with an emphasis on major platforms like Snapchat, YouTube, and Spotify. Her work has also appeared in Austin Monthly and the Austin American-Statesman, where she covered local news and the dining scene in Austin, Texas.