- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
Downloading those mediocre remixes is easier than you think.
Aspiring rappers used to hustle in parking lots, selling mixtapes out of the trunk of their cars. Now they’re posting on SoundCloud. The streaming platform is where major artists like Drake, Chance the Rapper, and Kanye West drop surprise albums and new tracks for unsuspecting fans, and where meme trends like Trumpwave emerge.
Naturally, you’re going to want to download some of the tracks, playlists, and podcasts you discover on SoundCloud. The question: How?
“Stream-ripping” has become a significant issue for the music industry. In September 2016, an assortment of major labels banded together to fight youtube-mp3.org, a YouTube-to-mp3 converter. If you’re looking to just rip music—reconsider your options. You can stream anything on SoundCloud for free, and many artists make their tracks available for download.
But if streaming isn’t an option, and you really need to grab and go, there are a few different options to seamlessly download audio files from SoundCloud to your computer or phone. Here are some of the best downloading tools we’ve found to get your favorite podcast or remix straight to your music library.
How to download from SoundCloud
1) Download via URL
Once you find the track you wish you download, copy the URL at the top of your browser and paste it into the URL engine. Click the download button and the song will load straight onto your computer. For playlists, the process is the exact same: Listeners just paste the URL in the engine designated for playlists.
2) Google Chrome Extensions
Google Chrome offers Extensions, or apps, that can be downloaded for free via the Google Chrome web store. But here’s the catch: They aren’t super reliable and run the risk of giving your computer a virus. Some extensions, like the KlickAud extension, might as well not be—they simply redirect you to the downloader website. The and SoundCloud Downloader lets users download songs from Soundcloud, but according to reviews, it’s a hit-or-miss operation.
If you’re still looking to download the extension, click the blue button to the left “Add to Chrome” and a file will pop-up asking to add the extension. Accept the addition, and the extension will appear in the top-right corner of the Chrome browser.
There is an option to include a QR code when you click the download button. By checking the box, listeners are able to get the audio file or playlist on their phone as well.
3) Download directly from SoundCloud
Not all tracks are available for download, but some users on SoundCloud already allow the option to download their audio files. In order for the download button to appear with the track, listeners have to be logged into their personal accounts.
If the song is available for download, there will be a download button below the waveform next to the “Share” and “More” button. The download button is customizable for users, so it could redirect to the user’s website or directly download.
- ‘SoundCloud vs Bandcamp’ is the meme that pits hipsters against rappers
- How to download your favorite YouTube videos
- How to get faster Wi-Fi
- YouTube Music is the best streaming app you’re not using
To download a song, just click the button, and the file will download automatically to your computer or bring you to a website where the song is available for free download.
Kristen Hubby is a tech and lifestyle reporter. Her writing focuses on sex, pop culture, streaming entertainment, and social media, with an emphasis on major platforms like Snapchat, YouTube, and Spotify. Her work has also appeared in Austin Monthly and the Austin American-Statesman, where she covered local news and the dining scene in Austin, Texas.