With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or fewer.
- Twitter's apparently getting ready to launch a dedicated music app.
- You can now download your tweet archive in a bunch of different languages, whenever Twitter makes it available to you.
Good news for haikus
And real creative people
Perhaps not much else:
- A Bahraini activist was acquitted of charges of spreading false news on Twitter.
- Here's how to create a Twitter bot in a few minutes. Remember with great power comes gre—just don't make it annoying, k?
- @Australia now belongs to Australia after a long battle to wrest the handle from another user.
- Mitt Romney uses his campaign's account to keep tabs on political chatter.
- New FTC rules means celebs have to be clear and transparent in their paid product endorsement tweets.
- OMG here's the real guy wot ran the Michael Haneke parody.
- The New York Jets crowdsourced its priorities for free agency. "Less butt fumbles" was one smart ass's response.
- Tyler, The Creator tried to quell crowd trouble outside a free Tumblr show in Colorado.
- British Prime Minister David Cameron is apparently displeased with Tory MPs attacking him on Twitter.
- A journalist agreed to carry out $37,832 of charity work after wrongly naming a British lord as a pedophile on Twitter.
- In case you need a reminder, Twitter can be a really strange place.
The best thing we learned on Twitter this week:
The week's best new users: Not exactly a newbie, but Will Arnett returned this week. Debutantes include Brooke Shields and U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius. Also, @davegrohlclock is new and way better than @big_ben_clock.
Photo of the week: Just a group of Saturday Night Live comedy legends, vaunted musician Paul Simon, and, er, Chevy Chase. (@SteveMartinToGo)
The Obama administration just took Cuba off the terrorism list
Congress could have objected, but it didn't.4.1k
When this baby elephant collapsed, the rest of the herd knew what to do
Elephants never leave a friend behind.24k
Loving dog owner takes his dying best friend on a bucket list road trip
You've been a good boy, Poh. A good, good boy.13k
Is all the crazy weather lately due to climate change?
Scientists are united. So why aren't we actively making the connection?
Teens reacting to classic '90s sitcoms will make you feel ancient
You're old. Your TV shows are old. Go to bed!1.9k