With hundreds of millions of tweets per day, it’s impossible to follow everything happening on Twitter. Every Friday, the Daily Dot rounds up notable Twitter news and stories from the past week—in 140 characters or fewer.
- Twitter's apparently getting ready to launch a dedicated music app.
- You can now download your tweet archive in a bunch of different languages, whenever Twitter makes it available to you.
Good news for haikus
And real creative people
Perhaps not much else:
- A Bahraini activist was acquitted of charges of spreading false news on Twitter.
- Here's how to create a Twitter bot in a few minutes. Remember with great power comes gre—just don't make it annoying, k?
- @Australia now belongs to Australia after a long battle to wrest the handle from another user.
- Mitt Romney uses his campaign's account to keep tabs on political chatter.
- New FTC rules means celebs have to be clear and transparent in their paid product endorsement tweets.
- OMG here's the real guy wot ran the Michael Haneke parody.
- The New York Jets crowdsourced its priorities for free agency. "Less butt fumbles" was one smart ass's response.
- Tyler, The Creator tried to quell crowd trouble outside a free Tumblr show in Colorado.
- British Prime Minister David Cameron is apparently displeased with Tory MPs attacking him on Twitter.
- A journalist agreed to carry out $37,832 of charity work after wrongly naming a British lord as a pedophile on Twitter.
- In case you need a reminder, Twitter can be a really strange place.
The best thing we learned on Twitter this week:
The week's best new users: Not exactly a newbie, but Will Arnett returned this week. Debutantes include Brooke Shields and U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius. Also, @davegrohlclock is new and way better than @big_ben_clock.
Photo of the week: Just a group of Saturday Night Live comedy legends, vaunted musician Paul Simon, and, er, Chevy Chase. (@SteveMartinToGo)
Rick Astley's 'Uptown Funk' cover is better than a rickroll
We're glad we never gave up Astley.11k
Confederate flag parade goes beautifully wrong
They earned it.9.7k
Texas' attorney general says county clerks can refuse to marry gay couples
Texas' top law-enforcement official isn't giving up.6.7k
Copenhagen Wolves adds pair of Belgian rookies to replace departing veterans
The Wolves have rested their hopes of staying in the LCS on two rookie players.
The true story of Ann Pragg, the esports writer who never existed
Ann Pragg was a rising star. Ann Pragg was a special esports talent. Ann Pragg wasn't real.716