- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
Chris Brown faces up to 6 months in jail over pet monkey
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife charged the rapper with illegally owning a monkey, TMZ first reported. Brown could face up to six months behind bars if he is found guilty.
Brown wasn’t exactly hiding the capuchin monkey, named Fiji, when he posted photos and videos on social media. The monkey was bought as a gift for his daughter, Royalty, and Brown shared their first moments together on his Instagram back in December 2017.
In one clip, Royalty is holding the money wrapped in a blanket wearing a diaper. You can hear Brown in the background joking with his daughter about the size of the monkey’s head.
A search warrant was issued on Brown’s home back in January of this year, and at that time the primate was taken and placed in a sanctuary. The Los Angeles City Attorney filed charges Wednesday.
Brown’s fate will be determined on Feb. 6, when he is scheduled to be arraigned. His charges include two misdemeanors for possession of an exotic animal, according to TMZ.
On Twitter, many have rushed to defend the singer, comparing his possible jail time to others they deem as much worse.
Chris Brown faces up to 6 months in jail for owning a pet monkey, Mannnnnnnn if y’all don’t leave this man alone,Michael Jackson was dressing his monkey in suits and adidas track pants and it was all cool, Let my boy Chris own Curious George
— LANDO (@LandoSoReal) December 27, 2018
They trying to lock Chris Brown up for having a monkey while Demi Lovato drug dealer is getting exclusive interviews.
— “I’m sorry bruh” (@EOConfidential_) December 27, 2018
so R Kelly can consistently get away with sexual crimes against multiple people and avoid jail time but Chris Brown can own a pet monkey and go to jail for it? I just can’t anymore
— Marsalis (@yoooitsmarsalis) December 27, 2018
So chris brown might go to jail for 6 months for owning a monkey but there are people like Brock turner only going to jail for 3 months after raping somebody??!!
— Expeditiously 🇭🇹 (@jenny4_16) December 27, 2018
chris brown gets up to six months in jail for owning a monkey, yet jacob anderson gets a $400 fine for rape. something ain’t right pic.twitter.com/z5OkYlBQYH
— sarah ann (@saranw_rap) December 27, 2018
So y’all really tryna put Chris Brown n jail for 6 months for OWNING a monkey? Y’all type weird how owning a unharmed monkey get u jail time but killing an unarmed black man get u fans and skittle autographs. Glad I found my worth n Christ cause we don’t have worth on earth smh
— KJ Carter (@itskjcarter) December 27, 2018
Some compared Brown’s possible six months behind bars to Brock Turner, who only served three of a six-month sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman. Jacob Anderson, a fraternity president, received no jail time after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting a fellow student.
This isn’t Brown’s first run-in with the law.
In 2009, he got five years of probation after pleading guilty to felony assault for beating his then-girlfriend Rihanna. In 2017, Brown’s ex-girlfriend Karrueche Tran was granted a restraining order against him.
- Kevin Spacey’s sexual assault accuser reportedly has video evidence
- These people think Sandra Bullock is just ‘the lady from “Bird Box”‘
- These YouTube videos of young girls are still drawing plenty of creepy comments
H/T BuzzFeed News
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.