- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her 8 Months Ago
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? 8 Months Ago
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife charged the rapper with illegally owning a monkey, TMZ first reported. Brown could face up to six months behind bars if he is found guilty.
Brown wasn’t exactly hiding the capuchin monkey, named Fiji, when he posted photos and videos on social media. The monkey was bought as a gift for his daughter, Royalty, and Brown shared their first moments together on his Instagram back in December 2017.
In one clip, Royalty is holding the money wrapped in a blanket wearing a diaper. You can hear Brown in the background joking with his daughter about the size of the monkey’s head.
A search warrant was issued on Brown’s home back in January of this year, and at that time the primate was taken and placed in a sanctuary. The Los Angeles City Attorney filed charges Wednesday.
Brown’s fate will be determined on Feb. 6, when he is scheduled to be arraigned. His charges include two misdemeanors for possession of an exotic animal, according to TMZ.
On Twitter, many have rushed to defend the singer, comparing his possible jail time to others they deem as much worse.
Chris Brown faces up to 6 months in jail for owning a pet monkey, Mannnnnnnn if y’all don’t leave this man alone,Michael Jackson was dressing his monkey in suits and adidas track pants and it was all cool, Let my boy Chris own Curious George— LANDO (@LandoSoReal) December 27, 2018
They trying to lock Chris Brown up for having a monkey while Demi Lovato drug dealer is getting exclusive interviews.— “I’m sorry bruh” (@EOConfidential_) December 27, 2018
so R Kelly can consistently get away with sexual crimes against multiple people and avoid jail time but Chris Brown can own a pet monkey and go to jail for it? I just can’t anymore— Marsalis (@yoooitsmarsalis) December 27, 2018
chris brown gets up to six months in jail for owning a monkey, yet jacob anderson gets a $400 fine for rape. something ain’t right pic.twitter.com/z5OkYlBQYH— sarah ann (@saranw_rap) December 27, 2018
So y’all really tryna put Chris Brown n jail for 6 months for OWNING a monkey? Y’all type weird how owning a unharmed monkey get u jail time but killing an unarmed black man get u fans and skittle autographs. Glad I found my worth n Christ cause we don’t have worth on earth smh— KJ Carter (@itskjcarter) December 27, 2018
Some compared Brown’s possible six months behind bars to Brock Turner, who only served three of a six-month sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman. Jacob Anderson, a fraternity president, received no jail time after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting a fellow student.
This isn’t Brown’s first run-in with the law.
In 2009, he got five years of probation after pleading guilty to felony assault for beating his then-girlfriend Rihanna. In 2017, Brown’s ex-girlfriend Karrueche Tran was granted a restraining order against him.
- Kevin Spacey’s sexual assault accuser reportedly has video evidence
- These people think Sandra Bullock is just ‘the lady from “Bird Box”‘
- These YouTube videos of young girls are still drawing plenty of creepy comments
H/T BuzzFeed News
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.