- Am I overreacting to a Facebook message from a dating app match? 3 Years Ago
- Buttigieg, Klobuchar come together to laugh at Bloomberg Wednesday 10:29 PM
- Bernie Sanders calls Bloomberg’s wealth ‘grotesque’ to his face Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Angry Bloomberg asks debate moderators if he’s ‘chicken liver’ Wednesday 9:29 PM
- Elizabeth Warren savages everyone else’s healthcare plan Wednesday 9:07 PM
- K-Pop stans help push ‘Pooping for Kaitlin’ hashtag mocking Kent State gun girl Wednesday 8:54 PM
- Fans speculate after learning Pop Smoke posted address prior to fatal home invasion Wednesday 8:11 PM
- Jar of human tongues found in Florida has people shook Wednesday 6:39 PM
- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
Over the weekend, one of the most famous animal celebrities of the internet reportedly passed away.
The news was brought to the net by the “official Twitter account of China Central Television.”
RIP, Doge! Shiba Inu who inspired popular Internet memes died in Japan aged 16 pic.twitter.com/OO1OrpxULy— CCTV (@CCTV) March 31, 2017
Kabosu, the legendary pup behind one of the internet’s greatest memes, dead?
But thankfully, for everyone, this appears to be a poorly executed hoax or an April Fools’ joke.
Here’s doge, alive and well and doge as ever.
Kabosu is OK, she is alive! I don care that somebody told the lie that Kabosu is dead for April Fools day, but one important thing for me is " Kabosu is a girl", she is a female dog. エイプリルフールで、海外でかぼちゃんが死んだなんて嘘が拡散されたらしいよ。そんなことは笑い飛ばせるけど、かぼちゃんをオスだと思われているのが許せないのだ！ #かぼすちゃんとおさんぽ #shibainu #柴犬 #cat #ねこ
A post shared by かぼすママ (@kabosumama) on
Hooray. Much good news. Great treat. Happy doge.
Naturally, people were not happy about this effort.
That said, doge the meme did die three-and-a-half years ago, when a congressman used it to make a funny.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]