- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Tuesday 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Tuesday 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Tuesday 12:21 PM
- ‘Joker’ ad compares Todd Phillips to Gandhi Tuesday 12:10 PM
- Mom learned about her special needs son’s abuse by seeing TikTok video Tuesday 11:21 AM
- Influencer gets revenge on her male trolls with Instagram account Tuesday 10:32 AM
- Conservatives are frothing over a Ukraine joke told on CNN Tuesday 10:26 AM
Conservative blogger and radio host Erick Erickson dunked Melania Trump’s state dinner menu as “froo-froo garbage”— so Twitter dunked on him.
After the Hill reported Monday that the first lady had put finishing touches on the White House’s menu ahead of a visit from French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Erickson dismissed the offerings as “unpronounceable.”
“This menu is why I could never be President,” he tweeted. “I’d serve fried chicken and mashed potatoes with sweet potato pie for dessert.”
This menu is why I could never be President: https://t.co/GjDFxf24PM I'd serve fried chicken and mashed potatoes with sweet potato pie for dessert. None of this unpronounceable froo-froo garbage.— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) April 23, 2018
The menu items that appeared to so offend Erickson? “Rack of spring lamb with Carolina gold rice jambalaya.”
People on Twitter were confused by Erickson’s comment. Was it the lamb or jambalaya that stumped him?
Lamb & Jambalaya is unpronounceable? https://t.co/zJ8gJJ2K1h— Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet) April 23, 2018
unpronouncable froo froo garbage like— Hunter Cooke (@kennylogginson) April 23, 2018
*looks at camera confused*
protip: the 'b' in 'lamb' is silent https://t.co/FWQV8qWwaR— Sarah Jones (@onesarahjones) April 23, 2018
Even weirder: Erickson is a Jackson, Louisiana, native, so surely he’s heard of the Cajun meat and rice dish.
guy born in louisiana scoffing at jambalaya as "unpronounceable froo-froo garbage" is one for the republican "i'm a normal person who sincerely believes the things i say, i swear" record books https://t.co/GOsTXJ4O95— Phil Owen (@philrowen) April 23, 2018
What Southerner in good standing would call jambalaya "unpronounceable froo-froo garbage?" There is nothing remotely pretentious about it. https://t.co/iR9t9K0CdR— Anthony Michael Kreis (@AnthonyMKreis) April 23, 2018
They're serving fucking jambalaya you cretinous goon. That's basically Creole poverty stew you rancid ham hock. https://t.co/m6vlARBWAE— Duck and Cupboard. (@Amanda_Kerri) April 23, 2018
Jambalaya is froo-froo? I've never seen anyone pick a fight with the entire state of Louisiana before. https://t.co/JSksSR9mdT— Neil Bhatiya (@NeilBhatiya) April 23, 2018
Jambalaya. I at least expected something nominally foreign to American palates like creme brûlée or bouillabaisse but no...he's intimidated by jamba-friggin-laya. Do you want to Supersize that mayonnaise slushy Erick? https://t.co/iSavlTOZkx— Zeddy (@Zeddary) April 23, 2018
Jambalaya is an un-American dish enjoyed only by out-of-touch coastal elites, like Dijon mustard and coffee https://t.co/kXCWa0qpEH— Scott Lemieux (@LemieuxLGM) April 23, 2018
Maybe Erickson was just feigning ignorance, someone suggested.
Pretending not to know what jambalaya is to own the libs: https://t.co/VmyQSwftGM— Sarcasmatron (@afran90) April 23, 2018
And maybe he just wanted to prove a point.
Eating shittier food than you have to to own the libs. https://t.co/o5UEoQ8PR1— Fats Durston (@FatsDurston) April 23, 2018
Either way, people helpfully pointed out that being unable or unwilling to eat jambalaya probably isn’t the only thing disqualifying Erickson from a presidential run.
Sure. The only thing holding you back is what appears to be a totally normal menu. https://t.co/0ngUlHTKxc— Jenna (@jennaep7) April 24, 2018
Well, this wasn't the reason I would have chosen, but as long as we're clear on the fact that you could never be President. https://t.co/7JcwxDiA6e— Edward E. (@EdwardEOnePiece) April 23, 2018
The menu is "rack of spring lamb with Carolina gold rice jambalaya." You're right Erick if you can't pronounce those words you would have a lot of trouble holding elected office in an English-speaking country https://t.co/I7U0hjflYc— Shuja Haider (@shujaxhaider) April 23, 2018
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.