- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest 9 Months Ago
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal 9 Months Ago
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Today 9:40 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez helps Donkey Kong Twitch streamer raise money for trans rights Today 8:09 AM
- ‘Soni’ is a smart crime drama with poignant observations on inequality Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Arrow’ online for free Today 7:00 AM
- How a Barron Trump time traveling conspiracy keeps going viral Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! Will I be happier if I quit social media? Today 6:30 AM
- Free DVR makes Hulu with Live TV an even sweeter deal Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Black Lightning’ online for free Today 5:30 AM
- This ‘scientist’ learned what women find attractive by A/B testing his beard on Tinder Today 5:00 AM
- Laura Ingraham mocks Rep. Ilhan Omar’s accent in audio clip Sunday 5:46 PM
- #ExposeChristianSchools goes viral after Karen Pence and Covington Catholic School uproars Sunday 4:37 PM
- People have started laundering money on Fortnite Sunday 3:03 PM
- Cardi B claps back at Tomi Lahren’s sarcastic tweet Sunday 1:25 PM
Twitter dunks on conservative for calling Melania Trump’s dinner menu ‘froo-froo’
Conservative blogger and radio host Erick Erickson dunked Melania Trump’s state dinner menu as “froo-froo garbage”— so Twitter dunked on him.
After the Hill reported Monday that the first lady had put finishing touches on the White House’s menu ahead of a visit from French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Erickson dismissed the offerings as “unpronounceable.”
“This menu is why I could never be President,” he tweeted. “I’d serve fried chicken and mashed potatoes with sweet potato pie for dessert.”
This menu is why I could never be President: https://t.co/GjDFxf24PM I'd serve fried chicken and mashed potatoes with sweet potato pie for dessert. None of this unpronounceable froo-froo garbage.
— Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) April 23, 2018
The menu items that appeared to so offend Erickson? “Rack of spring lamb with Carolina gold rice jambalaya.”
People on Twitter were confused by Erickson’s comment. Was it the lamb or jambalaya that stumped him?
Lamb & Jambalaya is unpronounceable? https://t.co/zJ8gJJ2K1h
— Jeet Heer (@HeerJeet) April 23, 2018
unpronouncable froo froo garbage like
*looks at camera confused*
— Hunter Cooke (@kennylogginson) April 23, 2018
protip: the 'b' in 'lamb' is silent https://t.co/FWQV8qWwaR
— Sarah Jones (@onesarahjones) April 23, 2018
Even weirder: Erickson is a Jackson, Louisiana, native, so surely he’s heard of the Cajun meat and rice dish.
guy born in louisiana scoffing at jambalaya as "unpronounceable froo-froo garbage" is one for the republican "i'm a normal person who sincerely believes the things i say, i swear" record books https://t.co/GOsTXJ4O95
— Phil Owen (@philrowen) April 23, 2018
What Southerner in good standing would call jambalaya "unpronounceable froo-froo garbage?" There is nothing remotely pretentious about it. https://t.co/iR9t9K0CdR
— Anthony Michael Kreis (@AnthonyMKreis) April 23, 2018
They're serving fucking jambalaya you cretinous goon. That's basically Creole poverty stew you rancid ham hock. https://t.co/m6vlARBWAE
— Duck and Cupboard. (@Amanda_Kerri) April 23, 2018
Jambalaya is froo-froo? I've never seen anyone pick a fight with the entire state of Louisiana before. https://t.co/JSksSR9mdT
— Neil Bhatiya (@NeilBhatiya) April 23, 2018
Jambalaya. I at least expected something nominally foreign to American palates like creme brûlée or bouillabaisse but no…he's intimidated by jamba-friggin-laya. Do you want to Supersize that mayonnaise slushy Erick? https://t.co/iSavlTOZkx
— Zeddy (@Zeddary) April 23, 2018
Jambalaya is an un-American dish enjoyed only by out-of-touch coastal elites, like Dijon mustard and coffee https://t.co/kXCWa0qpEH
— Scott Lemieux (@LemieuxLGM) April 23, 2018
Maybe Erickson was just feigning ignorance, someone suggested.
Pretending not to know what jambalaya is to own the libs: https://t.co/VmyQSwftGM
— Sarcasmatron (@afran90) April 23, 2018
And maybe he just wanted to prove a point.
Eating shittier food than you have to to own the libs. https://t.co/o5UEoQ8PR1
— Fats Durston (@FatsDurston) April 23, 2018
Either way, people helpfully pointed out that being unable or unwilling to eat jambalaya probably isn’t the only thing disqualifying Erickson from a presidential run.
Sure. The only thing holding you back is what appears to be a totally normal menu. https://t.co/0ngUlHTKxc
— Jenna (@jennaep7) April 24, 2018
Well, this wasn't the reason I would have chosen, but as long as we're clear on the fact that you could never be President. https://t.co/7JcwxDiA6e
— Edward E. (@EdwardEOnePiece) April 23, 2018
The menu is "rack of spring lamb with Carolina gold rice jambalaya." You're right Erick if you can't pronounce those words you would have a lot of trouble holding elected office in an English-speaking country https://t.co/I7U0hjflYc
— Shuja Haider (@shujaxhaider) April 23, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.