- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter 3 Weeks Ago
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Today 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Today 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Today 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Today 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Today 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Today 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Today 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Today 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Today 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Today 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Today 12:19 PM
- Slow iPhone got you down? Here’s how to speed it back up Today 11:49 AM
- Andy Ngo smears antifa activist killed in hit-and-run Today 11:25 AM
- ‘Succession’ but with M&Ms is a pitch-perfect parody Today 11:12 AM
A tropical storm that formed in the Atlantic is currently moving north through the Carribean Sea toward the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. The storm currently has a maximum sustained wind speed of 40mph with gust up to 105, although it’s not expected to turn into a hurricane. While it’s certainly dangerous, it’s far from the worst the area has encountered. There’s just one problem. The storm is named Karen.
If you’re not up on your internet slang, the name “Karen” has become associated with a certain type of middle-aged white woman who’s likely to throw a fit if she doesn’t get her way. The top Urban Dictionary definition of “Karen” reads:
It’s unclear when or why Karen became the goto name for this kind of person. Know Your Meme speculates that it could be based on a quote from the 2004 film Mean Girls. The film features a character named Karen (Amanda Seyfried) who asks Lindsay Lohan’s Cady, “If you’re from Africa why are you white?”
This Forecast Cone is an actual visual representation of the rising anger of everyone in line behind #Karen as she argues with the manager because her coupons are not working. pic.twitter.com/uMIhtbou4t— 🎃MeltLikeBOOta🎃 (@JWButta) September 22, 2019
As for tropical storm Jerry, it’s currently heading towards Bermuda, where it’s expected to colonize the area and then complain about how the natives are lowering property values.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.