- ‘Watchmen’ delivers a surprisingly conventional superhero finale Sunday 10:11 PM
- Facebook ads are spreading misinformation about HIV Sunday 10:11 PM
- Military investigates students’ suspected white power hand signs at football game Sunday 9:41 PM
- North Carolina man allegedly stole $88K then posted it on Instagram Sunday 8:34 PM
- People are pissed a CGI influencer said she was sexually assaulted Sunday 4:56 PM
- BTS’ RM says he’s lost 33 AirPods Sunday 3:59 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘hyper-realistic’ cat cake is scaring fans Sunday 3:03 PM
- Nick Cannon is reportedly playing his Eminem diss track on repeat Sunday 1:20 PM
- College quarterback blasted by ex-girlfriend in savage AF breakup TikTok Sunday 12:27 PM
- Hallmark pulls ad featuring lesbian couple after conservative protest Sunday 11:27 AM
- Actress’ tweet calling out fellow passenger for not moving seats backfires Sunday 10:43 AM
- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Sunday 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
A tropical storm that formed in the Atlantic is currently moving north through the Carribean Sea toward the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. The storm currently has a maximum sustained wind speed of 40mph with gust up to 105, although it’s not expected to turn into a hurricane. While it’s certainly dangerous, it’s far from the worst the area has encountered. There’s just one problem. The storm is named Karen.
If you’re not up on your internet slang, the name “Karen” has become associated with a certain type of middle-aged white woman who’s likely to throw a fit if she doesn’t get her way. The top Urban Dictionary definition of “Karen” reads:
It’s unclear when or why Karen became the goto name for this kind of person. Know Your Meme speculates that it could be based on a quote from the 2004 film Mean Girls. The film features a character named Karen (Amanda Seyfried) who asks Lindsay Lohan’s Cady, “If you’re from Africa why are you white?”
This Forecast Cone is an actual visual representation of the rising anger of everyone in line behind #Karen as she argues with the manager because her coupons are not working. pic.twitter.com/uMIhtbou4t— 🎄ElfLikeButta🎄 (@JWButta) September 22, 2019
As for tropical storm Jerry, it’s currently heading towards Bermuda, where it’s expected to colonize the area and then complain about how the natives are lowering property values.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.