- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
If you’re going to steal something, make sure you don’t look like someone famous. Case in point, one thief from the United Kingdom is going viral after the internet realized he looks suspiciously like David Schwimmer, the actor who played Ross Geller in the hit sitcom Friends.
Late last month, an unidentified thief stole a jacket, wallet, and phone from a Mr. Basrai’s World Cuisines restaurant in Blackpool. Police have since released a CCTV camera photo showing the thief walking in a shop and buying a large amount of beer. That’s when fans noticed that the thief looks suspiciously like Ross, down to his hair, nose, and mouth.
Do you recognise this man? We want to speak to him in relation to a theft at a Blackpool restaurant on the 20th...Posted by Blackpool Police on Tuesday, October 23, 2018
It hasn't been his day, his week, his month, and it's unlikely to be his year! Blackpool police have shared this image of an alleged thief (left!) who looks uncannily like David Schwimmer (right). Police said Schwimmer was out of the country at the time of the offence 🤣 pic.twitter.com/fvPgt07te2— BBC Breakfast (@BBCBreakfast) October 24, 2018
It didn’t take long for Facebook users to flood the Blackpool Police’s page and share the image across the net, making plenty of Friends jokes along the way.
“Apparently the police had him cornered then he performed a pivot maneuver and escaped,” one Facebook user quipped.
that’s ross gellar, sir pic.twitter.com/xbahPYb4wh— s҉p҉o҉o҉k҉y҉ r҉a҉c҉h҉ (@lilacperalta) October 23, 2018
Could there be any more Ross’ pic.twitter.com/HTYKVKqC0v— Judy (@Judyinrichmond) October 24, 2018
Honestly, the Ross-from-Friends lookalike robber story might be my favourite of 2018 pic.twitter.com/o0LEdKUbMZ— Declan Cashin Big Dec Energy (@Tweet_Dec) October 24, 2018
You mean you haven't seen the episode, The One Where Ross Steals The Stella Artois? it's a CLASSIC!— Bring It Gaming (@BIGpresents) October 24, 2018
The Friends references are going strong across Twitter and Facebook as fans dream about this year’s iconic revival episode. You know, the one where Ross is on the run from the U.K. police for committing a theft.
Perhaps he was on a break?— Andrew White (@AndrewRWhite) October 24, 2018
His mother warned him there'd be days like these #friendslyrics— Nat Orry (Natterblogs) (@NatOrryRadio) October 24, 2018
Maybe somebody stole his sandwich 🥪 at work— WrestleMASK (@WrestleMASK) October 24, 2018
"He is known to have studied Karate and we believe he has mastered the art of Unagi, the state of total awareness", they wrote. — Blackpool Police hunt Ross from Friends 'lookalike' https://t.co/NDywD1Op5Z— XL Esq. (@pinoycounsel) October 24, 2018
- The best Marvel movie memes of 2018
- The best memes of 2018 (so far)
- The best Joe Biden memes that stand the test of time
Don’t worry, Schwimmer didn’t actually commit the crime. Police have since confirmed that the Friends actor was not in the U.K. at the time, so it’s impossible that Ross’ actor is the thief in question.
“Thank you to everyone for your speedy responses,” police replied on the post. “We have investigated this matter thoroughly and have confirmed that David Schwimmer was in America on this date. We’re so sorry it has to be this way.”
Schwimmer has yet to comment on the matter.
Updated 3:58pm CT, Oct. 24: Schwimmer responded to the viral news on Twitter by posting his alibi.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.