- Twitter blasts Benny Johnson over heinous Native American ‘socialist’ reservations take 2 Years Ago
- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting Today 4:44 PM
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness Today 4:30 PM
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath Today 4:15 PM
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns Today 4:06 PM
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year Today 3:55 PM
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Today 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Today 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Today 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Today 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Today 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Today 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Today 12:22 PM
- Smooth dude gets girl’s number with a ‘choose your own adventure’ RPG on Tinder Today 12:20 PM
- Beto O’Rourke reportedly pranked his wife with a ‘verdant turd’ Today 12:13 PM
Police officer has unconventional punishment for a teen busted with weed
On Thursday, an Arlington, Texas, police officer gave a perpetrator in possession of marijuana a not-so-threatening sentence. In a video that’s circulating social media, a cop towers over a teenager after ordering him to drop and give him push-ups as an alternate sentence for jail time.
Local officials identified the police officer as Eric Ball, who was apparently working off duty when he caught the teen smoking weed outside a movie theater.
Lt. Chris Cook with the Arlington police stated that the unidentified, 17- or 18-year-old did not show any signs of disrespect toward Ball, understanding that he had made a mistake smoking on the property.
Instead of arresting the boy, Ball decided to take an alternate route to discipline. According to Cook, Ball said, “You give me 200 push-ups, I won’t put you in jail.”
According to Cook, Ball had played high school football and decided to apply the methods of discipline used on him as a teenager on the boy. The teenager’s mother was later found inside the movie theater, and once notified of the officer’s decision not to arrest and instead punish him with push-ups, she hugged and thanked him.
According to Cook, the mother told Ball that she didn’t find the given punishment enough, and would have made him do more push-ups.
A video of the has been shared by Raiza Paradez on Facebook, where it has been viewed over 148,000 times and shared over 1,700 times.
Ball is shown standing nonchalantly with his flashlight on, observing the teen as he goes from doing traditional push-ups to push-ups on his knees.
[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/raiza.paredez/videos/10202645846785493/ video embed.]
Many commenters have expressed praise for the officer, and some on Twitter are also having a laugh.
Do 200 push ups or go to jail just for smoking weed… lmfaoooo “um officer is right here a good spot”
— Mikey Mike 💯 (@Gbabytooraww_95) December 29, 2016
The teen may not have faced the big metal bars, but he did face some serious physical obstacles. Shout out to Officer Ball.
Dahlia Dandashi is a multimedia content producer. Her work has been published at the Austin American-Statesman and Viceland. An Arab-American raised in Dubai, she is based in Austin, Texas.