- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
- Bloomberg razzed for accidentally making an Alexa Fleshlight Wednesday 5:29 PM
- Who is putting cowboy hats on pigeons? Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Scammer reportedly bribed Facebook employee to keep posts up Wednesday 3:36 PM
- The 1975’s singer criticized for ‘Islamophobic’ rant Wednesday 3:22 PM
- Ready to dish out $52K for Apple’s new Mac Pro? Wednesday 3:03 PM
- N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell discuss their new Green Lantern comic, ‘Far Sector’ Wednesday 3:00 PM
- YouTube says it will be harsher on creators with ‘patterns of harassing behavior’ Wednesday 1:15 PM
- Why one senator stopped a vote on net neutrality Wednesday 12:49 PM
- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email Wednesday 12:09 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ star to lead Disney+ ‘Home Alone’ reboot Wednesday 12:08 PM
When pictures emerged of Taylor Swift canoodling with actor Tom Hiddleston a mere two weeks after her split from Calvin Harris, the budding romance was met with no shortage of elation and side-eye on Twitter. (Also, some bizarre ham sandwich analogies.)
The pair have since been spotted on many romantic outings. In fact, they seem to be jet-setting and PDA-ing all around the globe, and news broke on Thursday that a proposal may be in the works.
But alongside the seemingly never-ending supply of lovey-dovey paparazzi photos of the duo, a fascinating conspiracy theory has emerged. Could it be that Hiddleswift is really just an elaborate hoax?
hiddleswift is a distraction to keep us unwoke on the fact that lizard people are controlling the modern day dairy empire
— Gabe Bergado (@gabebergado) July 6, 2016
Well, this definitely makes sense. Many fans think something is up.
I really think the Taylor Swift /Tom Hiddleston thing could be a music video.
In fact as a screw you to the media I hope it is.
— Gem (@TattooedTruffle) July 4, 2016
Does anyone else think Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston are making an extended music video and fooling the world or is it just me???????
— Selena (@MancSel) July 4, 2016
Becoming increasingly convinced that Tom Hiddleston and Taylor Swift are pulling a Joaquin Phoenix I’m Still Here style prank on us.
— Nick Reilly (@NickJWReilly) July 4, 2016
Let’s take a look at the facts.
It seemed like something was decidedly up when Hiddleston sported a “I ❤️ T.S.” T-shirt as well as a heart-shaped tattoo bearing the pop star’s initials to Swift’s Fourth of July bash in Rhode Island.
The behavior did seem over-the-top, to say the least.
And a bit more like a scene from a film, or a music video, than anything you’d actually see in real life.
But why the hoax? Why would Swift, who is notoriously smitten with her fans, troll the die-hard Swifties?
Some are saying it’s possible Swift is preparing a Lemonade-style visual album. Swift is due for a new album. Swift has traditionally dropped one every two years, and this fall will mark the two-year anniversary of 1989’s release.
If so, the “romance” would be the perfect centerpiece, sending up the paparazzi’s obsession with Swift and her lovers—by creating a paparazzi obsession.
And that Fourth of July bash? Could be it was a stunt for a teaser-style music video to promote the album? Remember when Swift released “Shake it Off” in late August of 2014? This could be the visual backdrop to another feel-good pop hit to get us amped for the new album.
And, finally, it seems like Swift and Hiddleston are revisiting key moments from prior relationships, from meeting Hiddleston’s family in low-key country gear à la her Connor Kennedy days, to wearing the same blue dress she sported when she was smitten with Harry Styles, to splashing about in the waves like she did with former beau Calvin Harris. The resemblances are uncanny.
So could it be? Is Swift actually trolling us all?
Time will tell. But this is our favorite theory of all.
My favorite Pokemon Go monster is Hiddleswift
— Aparna Nancherla (@aparnapkin) July 13, 2016
Yep, that’s the one. Nailed it.
H/T E! News
Nayomi Reghay is a frequent contributor to the Daily Dot, covering body positivity, feminism, sex, relationships, and gender. She is also the author of the advice column “Swipe This!” A former New York Teaching Fellow, her writing has been featured in Reductress, Rolling Stone, Mic, Someecards, and more.