- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? 3 Years Ago
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Today 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Today 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Today 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Today 12:22 PM
- How to watch Duke vs. Cal in the 2K Empire classic Today 12:09 PM
- Trump’s impeachment notes get riffed into punk songs Today 12:01 PM
- Pete Buttigieg can’t do the Pete Buttigieg dance Today 11:55 AM
- How a woman’s cold ‘rejection form’ text message became an ’emotional labor’ meme Today 11:52 AM
- How to watch Texas vs. Georgetown in the 2K Empire classic Today 11:40 AM
- Apple cancels premiere of original film ‘The Banker’ amid sexual abuse allegations Today 11:25 AM
- Congress passes bill to safeguard Hong Kong, protesters Today 11:15 AM
- Conquer Black Friday and Cyber Monday, whether you’re shopping online or IRL Today 10:40 AM
- #DeadUploadDay: YouTubers fight new rules for monetizing kids videos Today 10:39 AM
In the fast-paced world of celebrity gossip, it feels like we have a new Couple Of The Century every six months. But on Wednesday night, this celebrity romance emergency was serious business.
The Sun‘s story includes classic celebrity gossip sources such as an anonymous person “close to Taylor,” saying that Hiddleston had been “courting” Swift since they met—possibly during their awkward yet adorable dance-off at the Met Gala.
Twitter’s reaction was a thrilling combination of jealousy, elation, morbid fascination, and affectionate mockery. The couple (or apparent couple) were unprecedentedly fascinating: the world’s most datable woman, and a British A-lister who usually keeps his private life as private as humanly possible.
(my fave thing is how natural they look, sitting there, on that large, smooth rock. that’s the same rock i take all my new inamoratos to.)
— Bim Adewunmi (@bimadew) June 15, 2016
The drama ramped up with Taylor’s (very recent) ex Calvin Harris unfollowing Swift on Twitter, leading him to trend worldwide as well.
This whole Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston thing seems so weird for me. So when can we expect this music video?
— Kama (@kamanonickname) June 15, 2016
It didn’t take long for the conspiracy theories to form. There’s always the possibility that those paparazzi shots actually depict an upcoming music video. But since they’re two of the most photogenic people on the planet, and Taylor Swift’s life usually looks like a Taylor Swift music video anyway, it’s really impossible to tell.
Of course, the real hero in all this is the person who predicted this relationship in a 2014 fanfic, which even begins with the two celebrities meeting at the Met Gala.
The main question now is whether we collectively opt for “Hiddleswift,” as per this fanfic, or if “Swiffleston” will come out on top.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor