- Alinity Divine hasn’t been punished for throwing her cat—and people are livid 3 Years Ago
- Gamer Krucial B passes away during Defend the North tournament Today 9:25 AM
- Brexit supporter Boris Johnson becomes prime minister—spawning lots of memes Today 9:16 AM
- Democrats want to ban use of facial recognition in public housing Today 8:29 AM
- In America’s meme war, the left and right are fighting different battles Today 8:10 AM
- Mahershala Ali’s ‘Blade’ movie won’t arrive until Phase 5 of the MCU Today 7:18 AM
- Natalie Portman isn’t playing ‘female Thor’—she’s ‘Mighty Thor’ Today 7:08 AM
- How to watch ‘Breaking Bad’ online Today 7:00 AM
- Controversial Instagram influencer plans event called ‘The Scam’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to clear your search history on Instagram Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX Today 5:00 AM
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
One of the biggest celebrity gossip stories of 2016 just hit the internet.
In the fast-paced world of celebrity gossip, it feels like we have a new Couple Of The Century every six months. But on Wednesday night, this celebrity romance emergency was serious business.
The Sun‘s story includes classic celebrity gossip sources such as an anonymous person “close to Taylor,” saying that Hiddleston had been “courting” Swift since they met—possibly during their awkward yet adorable dance-off at the Met Gala.
Twitter’s reaction was a thrilling combination of jealousy, elation, morbid fascination, and affectionate mockery. The couple (or apparent couple) were unprecedentedly fascinating: the world’s most datable woman, and a British A-lister who usually keeps his private life as private as humanly possible.
(my fave thing is how natural they look, sitting there, on that large, smooth rock. that’s the same rock i take all my new inamoratos to.)
— Bim Adewunmi (@bimadew) June 15, 2016
The drama ramped up with Taylor’s (very recent) ex Calvin Harris unfollowing Swift on Twitter, leading him to trend worldwide as well.
This whole Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston thing seems so weird for me. So when can we expect this music video?
— Kama (@kamanonickname) June 15, 2016
It didn’t take long for the conspiracy theories to form. There’s always the possibility that those paparazzi shots actually depict an upcoming music video. But since they’re two of the most photogenic people on the planet, and Taylor Swift’s life usually looks like a Taylor Swift music video anyway, it’s really impossible to tell.
Of course, the real hero in all this is the person who predicted this relationship in a 2014 fanfic, which even begins with the two celebrities meeting at the Met Gala.
The main question now is whether we collectively opt for “Hiddleswift,” as per this fanfic, or if “Swiffleston” will come out on top.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor