- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Wednesday 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Wednesday 3:56 PM
- There’s a perfectly good reason why we can’t buy official Baby Yoda merch yet Wednesday 3:00 PM
- Trump’s handwritten ‘I WANT NOTHING’ note gets memed Wednesday 12:57 PM
Modern relationships are complicated, to say the least—the guy who literally wrote the book on them doesn’t seem to grasp the language of consent. It’s why many people would rather hang out with their pets than a significant other. And don’t even get us started on dating. In light of all this, the “single, taken, or X” meme is here to help. Or at least shed some humor onto what can otherwise be a fairly grim outlook.
The meme is not exactly a new one, as the earliest found instance on Twitter dates back five years to June of 2013, when @PrettyPink_2014 posted this sentiment we can probably all get down with.
⚪️ Single— cognacqueen ✨ (@PrettyPink_2014) June 17, 2013
From there it was used sparingly over the years, but every now and then a tweet would go viral.
We may also have the @DepressedDarth parody account to thank for keeping it alive.
⚪️ Single— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) December 9, 2015
🔘 Waiting for the new Star Wars
⚪️ Single— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) December 19, 2015
🔘 Seeing Star Wars again
⚪️ Single— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) January 9, 2016
🔘 Who cares there's a new Star Wars out
⚪️ Single— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) March 23, 2016
🔘 Waiting for Star Wars to come out on DVD
⚪️ Single— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) August 28, 2016
🔘 Who cares, I have a lightsaber
⚪️ Single— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) July 19, 2017
🔘 Watching Rogue One on Netflix
⚪️ Single— Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) February 5, 2018
🔘 Waiting for the Han Solo trailer
But for whatever reason—as the internet is near impossible to predict—the meme seems to have exploded in popularity in the past week, as hundreds of others chimed in about their relationship (or lack thereof) status.
First, there were the brutally honest takes:
And then there were the lyrical jokes.
I’m— Dani🕸 (@wrxdani) May 22, 2018
🔘 no James Dean, heartthrob, daydream. Bad hair, black jeans, not cool, suits me. Girls won’t date me, guys all hate me.
I’m— pat (@bassisthugs) May 22, 2018
🔘 just a dead man walking tonight but you need it yeah you need it all of the time yeah ooh ooh oooh YOUNGBLOOD SAY YOU WANT ME SAY YOU WANT ME BACK IN YOUR LIFE SO I’M JUST A DEAD MAN CRAWLING TONIGHT CAUSE I NEED IT YEAH I NEED IT ALL OF THE TIME
Speaking of those who prefer the companionship of pets…
⚪️ single— Aced It: on Hiatus (@aceditpod) May 22, 2018
⚪️ looking for more
🔘 my dog is my world, my precious son, the light of my life, and the only thing that matters
Aren’t we all, Brianna. Aren’t we all.
And then there were the requisite absurd takes on the meme.
⚪️ single— merritt k (@merrittk) May 21, 2018
🔘 trapped in the hyperbolic time chamber and all i can do is lift forever with piccolo who is my best friend and i love him very much
See? Maybe things aren’t so bleak, after all!
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.