- Netflix’s ‘Ozark’ beat ‘Game of Thrones’ in 2 major Emmy categories 1 Year Ago
- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
Millions across the world tuned in for the Royal Wedding this weekend, even if it meant getting up at ungodly hours or staying up all night, to watch Prince Harry and former Suits actress Meghan Markle join together in holy matrimony. The ceremony took place at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle and was a star-studded affair attended by Amal and George Clooney, the Beckhams, and Oprah Winfrey, among others.
Given the high-profile nature of the blessed union, it was only natural that Harry and Meghan’s nuptials gained a lot of attention on social media. On Saturday, Twitter was extremely all things #RoyalWedding. Some tweeted to express their wide-eyed enchantment while others cracked jokes, and of course, quite a few memes were born.
One meme in particular focused on Prince Harry and his new bride as they exited the ceremony, capturing Meghan as she looked up in a moment of apparent surprise. But just what was she looking at? Her expression became the subject of meme speculation. (Memesculation?) The format of the meme is basically identical to one a few weeks ago that showed Prince William and Kate waving at different objects and people.
Perhaps it was a … Cthulhu that caught Markle’s attention?
Or Britney Spears sucking down a cigarette?
Obviously, we would all be so excited to see Rihanna waving down.
Or was it reclusive Barcelona soccer star Lionel Messi?
One person imagined the Queen making quite the entrance.
A horse, because why not?
Then there was this take on the Jimmy Barnes “Big Enough” meme.
And of course, the obligatory Beyoncé and Blue Ivy memes.
Maybe we all got it wrong and the look was, in fact, abject horror at the realization that she forgot to put Bey’s invitation in the mail. We may never know.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.