- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
Was it Cthulhu? It was definitely Cthulhu.
Millions across the world tuned in for the Royal Wedding this weekend, even if it meant getting up at ungodly hours or staying up all night, to watch Prince Harry and former Suits actress Meghan Markle join together in holy matrimony. The ceremony took place at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle and was a star-studded affair attended by Amal and George Clooney, the Beckhams, and Oprah Winfrey, among others.
Given the high-profile nature of the blessed union, it was only natural that Harry and Meghan’s nuptials gained a lot of attention on social media. On Saturday, Twitter was extremely all things #RoyalWedding. Some tweeted to express their wide-eyed enchantment while others cracked jokes, and of course, quite a few memes were born.
One meme in particular focused on Prince Harry and his new bride as they exited the ceremony, capturing Meghan as she looked up in a moment of apparent surprise. But just what was she looking at? Her expression became the subject of meme speculation. (Memesculation?) The format of the meme is basically identical to one a few weeks ago that showed Prince William and Kate waving at different objects and people.
Perhaps it was a … Cthulhu that caught Markle’s attention?
Or Britney Spears sucking down a cigarette?
Obviously, we would all be so excited to see Rihanna waving down.
Or was it reclusive Barcelona soccer star Lionel Messi?
One person imagined the Queen making quite the entrance.
A horse, because why not?
Then there was this take on the Jimmy Barnes “Big Enough” meme.
And of course, the obligatory Beyoncé and Blue Ivy memes.
Maybe we all got it wrong and the look was, in fact, abject horror at the realization that she forgot to put Bey’s invitation in the mail. We may never know.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.