- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Today 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Today 2:44 PM
- The living are facing the end of the world in the latest ‘Game of Thrones’ Today 2:37 PM
- The best Korean beauty toners for your skincare routine Today 2:33 PM
- Warren’s plan to cancel student debt stimulates the bad-take economy Today 2:27 PM
- Video shows Easter Bunny punching man on sidewalk Today 2:09 PM
- The 7 best lubes for when you wanna do butt stuff Today 2:00 PM
- 11 best sex toys under $35 to blow your mind Today 1:30 PM
- Twitch streamer inadvertently documents all the times she was sexually, verbally harassed on vacation Today 1:12 PM
- Raptors coach Nick Nurse becomes a relatable meme Today 1:12 PM
- Man wears bandage that blends in with his skin tone, and Twitter has all the feelings Today 12:55 PM
- The 8 best Korean sunscreens to add to your bag Today 12:15 PM
- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ commercials drop a few big spoilers Today 11:58 AM
- 11 party games for people sick of playing Cards Against Humanity Today 11:45 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy makes the most Curvy Wife Guy pregnancy announcement Today 11:31 AM
Was it Cthulhu? It was definitely Cthulhu.
Millions across the world tuned in for the Royal Wedding this weekend, even if it meant getting up at ungodly hours or staying up all night, to watch Prince Harry and former Suits actress Meghan Markle join together in holy matrimony. The ceremony took place at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle and was a star-studded affair attended by Amal and George Clooney, the Beckhams, and Oprah Winfrey, among others.
Given the high-profile nature of the blessed union, it was only natural that Harry and Meghan’s nuptials gained a lot of attention on social media. On Saturday, Twitter was extremely all things #RoyalWedding. Some tweeted to express their wide-eyed enchantment while others cracked jokes, and of course, quite a few memes were born.
One meme in particular focused on Prince Harry and his new bride as they exited the ceremony, capturing Meghan as she looked up in a moment of apparent surprise. But just what was she looking at? Her expression became the subject of meme speculation. (Memesculation?) The format of the meme is basically identical to one a few weeks ago that showed Prince William and Kate waving at different objects and people.
Perhaps it was a … Cthulhu that caught Markle’s attention?
— village fetish (@botandy) May 20, 2018
Or Britney Spears sucking down a cigarette?
— extra guacamomole (@guacamomole) May 19, 2018
Obviously, we would all be so excited to see Rihanna waving down.
— c (@chuzzuz) May 19, 2018
Or was it reclusive Barcelona soccer star Lionel Messi?
— Khalid🎗 (@KH17ID) May 20, 2018
One person imagined the Queen making quite the entrance.
— heartbeeps (@hrtbps) May 19, 2018
A horse, because why not?
— JuanPa (@jpbrammer) May 19, 2018
Then there was this take on the Jimmy Barnes “Big Enough” meme.
And of course, the obligatory Beyoncé and Blue Ivy memes.
Maybe we all got it wrong and the look was, in fact, abject horror at the realization that she forgot to put Bey’s invitation in the mail. We may never know.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.