- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller 2 Years Ago
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Today 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Today 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
Millions across the world tuned in for the Royal Wedding this weekend, even if it meant getting up at ungodly hours or staying up all night, to watch Prince Harry and former Suits actress Meghan Markle join together in holy matrimony. The ceremony took place at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle and was a star-studded affair attended by Amal and George Clooney, the Beckhams, and Oprah Winfrey, among others.
Given the high-profile nature of the blessed union, it was only natural that Harry and Meghan’s nuptials gained a lot of attention on social media. On Saturday, Twitter was extremely all things #RoyalWedding. Some tweeted to express their wide-eyed enchantment while others cracked jokes, and of course, quite a few memes were born.
One meme in particular focused on Prince Harry and his new bride as they exited the ceremony, capturing Meghan as she looked up in a moment of apparent surprise. But just what was she looking at? Her expression became the subject of meme speculation. (Memesculation?) The format of the meme is basically identical to one a few weeks ago that showed Prince William and Kate waving at different objects and people.
Perhaps it was a … Cthulhu that caught Markle’s attention?
Or Britney Spears sucking down a cigarette?
Obviously, we would all be so excited to see Rihanna waving down.
Or was it reclusive Barcelona soccer star Lionel Messi?
One person imagined the Queen making quite the entrance.
A horse, because why not?
Then there was this take on the Jimmy Barnes “Big Enough” meme.
And of course, the obligatory Beyoncé and Blue Ivy memes.
Maybe we all got it wrong and the look was, in fact, abject horror at the realization that she forgot to put Bey’s invitation in the mail. We may never know.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.