- The ‘some of y’all… and it shows’ meme is taking over Twitter 10 Months Ago
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ begins season 2 on a cheerful note Today 11:49 AM
- Climate change memes are disrupting the feel-good ’10 year challenge’ Today 11:48 AM
- Mysterious Washington Post parody predicts Trump’s resignation Today 11:42 AM
- YouTube cracks down on challenges, pranks Today 11:04 AM
- Upskirting will soon be illegal in England Today 10:45 AM
- Jake Paul calls Keemstar a ‘piece of trash’ for ‘body-shaming’ Erika Costell Today 10:18 AM
- Sprint promises to stop selling location data after outcry Today 9:53 AM
- Kirsten Gillibrand announces presidential bid—and Al Franken diehards are salty Today 9:49 AM
- How to watch ‘Married at First Sight’ online for free Today 9:43 AM
- There are already memes for ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Today 9:00 AM
- Did Laura Loomer get duped into believing Muslims got her suspended from Twitter? Today 8:44 AM
- Here’s what we know about the Ice Sphere and Ice Storm in Fortnite Today 8:18 AM
- Who is Jigsaw, the villain of Netflix’s ‘Punisher’ season 2? Today 7:25 AM
- Hulu’s ‘Fyre Fraud’ plays along with the long con Today 7:00 AM
Ricky Gervais is getting destroyed on Twitter for his Netflix special
But Julian Assange is a fan, apparently.
Critics on Twitter have been relentlessly roasting English comedian Ricky Gervais for his latest stand-up special Humanity, in which he proves he still doesn’t understand what’s wrong with making demeaning jokes about transgender people.
Gervais spends the first 20 minutes of his stand-up routine making jokes about Caitlyn Jenner—whom he famously referred to as “Bruce” during a stint at the 2016 Golden Globes—and transgender people at large, comparing them to humans wanting to become chimps.
Watchers were predictably not amused and let Gervais know on Twitter.
If Ricky Gervais makes a shit joke in the woods and no white males are around to call him a genius, did he say anything?
— Thomas Broome-Jones (@TBroomey) March 18, 2018
These are Ricky Gervais's last gasps at relevancy. The comedy world is moving on to more thoughtful, exciting things, and he can feel himself being left behind. Rather than evolve, he's becoming a cranky old man. It's sad to see.
— Adam Ellis (@moby_dickhead) March 19, 2018
ricky gervais: lol trans people, am i right? gender much?
audience: that’s not really a joke dude
ricky gervais: FREEDOM OF SPEECH DATES BACK TO THE GREEKS AND THE ROMANS AND IS A PRINCIPLE IN THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IT PROTECTS MY RIGHT TO BE OFFENSIVE AND I
— i cant drive 2007 (@prophethusband) March 18, 2018
*Ricky Gervais voice* I'm a middle aged white man from an imperialist country. Watch me make a shit ton of money by attacking marginalized people in my standup. Lol I'm so edgy
— Rogo (@TockTockTock) March 19, 2018
ricky gervais is so scared of being called boring
— Cohen is a Ghost (@skullmandible) March 18, 2018
Ricky Gervais is so obsessed with Caitlyn Jenner’s car crash he’s paying homage by turning his career into one.
— Avery Edison (@aedison) March 19, 2018
Learning that Netflix paid Ricky Gervais 40 million dollars for a comedy special I turned off after five minutes makes me kind of depressed.
— Eric Dobbs (@MastrDobbington) March 19, 2018
Someone tell Ricky Gervais to start offending the nazis if he wants us to care so fuckin much about him. There's nazis, Ricky. it isn't 2002 anymore
— illuminati mess (@GeekyLyndsay) March 19, 2018
Ricky Gervais Netflix stand-up special .mp4 pic.twitter.com/e99c1g8MWu
— morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket (@ProjectAuuman) March 18, 2018
Ricky Gervais: Political correctness has gone MAD! What next? Do I have to call a manhole a PERSONhole? Is that it? I bet it is! A bloody personhole. Can you belieeeeeve it?
Ricky Gervais’s wife: I’m leaving you
— pixelated boat [ASMR] binaural ~4 hours~ (@pixelatedboat) March 19, 2018
The best commentary came from WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who sincerely tweeted a fake Gervais quote created as a joke by Montreal reporter Rob Rousseau.
— Julian Assange ⌛ (@JulianAssange) March 18, 2018
Rousseau actually made the graphic—using a quote found on Reddit—to show how tired and unoriginal Ricky Gervais’ schtick has become, according to Gizmodo. Assange earnestly tweeting the fake quote proves that even fans of the comedian can’t distinguish his jokes from quotes found on an “edgy” Tumblr blog.
Gervais—who’s known for insisting that he really, really doesn’t care what the haters say—fired back on Sunday. He included a photo of a chimp to make sure it’s clear that he feels no remorse about dehumanizing members of the LGBTQ community.
— Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) March 18, 2018
Humanity premiered on Netflix last week. Read more about how the stand-up special tackles the “epidemic of offense” here.
Tess Cagle is a reporter who focuses on politics, lifestyle, and streaming entertainment. Her work has appeared in the New York Times, Texas Monthly, the Austin American-Statesman, Damn Joan, and Community Impact Newspaper. She’s also a portrait, events, and live music photographer in Central Texas.