- Lawsuit alleges YouTube’s unboxing videos are ‘abusive’ ads aimed at kids Sunday 3:48 PM
- Dr. Dre shades Lori Loughlin with Instagram flex about his daughter getting into USC Sunday 3:13 PM
- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage Sunday 1:21 PM
- Facing criticism for eating fish, vegan YouTube star Rawvana speaks out Sunday 10:47 AM
- Arnold Schwarzenegger chases mini-pony in new TikTok video Sunday 9:19 AM
- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Sunday 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Sunday 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Sunday 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets ‘canceled’ over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
Even Rob Thomas loves the ‘Smooth’ by Santana ft. Rob Thomas meme
Man, it’s a hot one.
It’s the Summer of “Smooth,” a time when a swirling nexus of irony and nostalgia has opened wide and spewed back a Grammy-winning 1999 hit by Santana ft. Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty. Whether out of snark or genuine fondness, people would rather be listening to “Smooth.”
Look at this damn T-shirt:
It’s “going viral,” and it’s so dope that even Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty himself has retweeted it:
After a lot of searching, we still don’t know where this exact shirt comes from, or who the guy wearing it is. Cori Healey, the hero who tweeted the photo, has not commented.
There are several variations of the tee available, but I couldn’t find one in that exact font and with the printing on the back. Ugh, I would love to own it—instead we’ll have to settle for one of these:
They don’t even have the kicker: “off the multi-platinum album Supernatural.” One design that did, but still isn’t the shirt from the photo, was for sale on Teepublic earlier today.
It appears to have been taken down now.
But at least there’s a mug version of the joke.
And a butt plug. No, seriously. It was created by the dankest butt plug maker on the internet, GlowFYourself.
That is officially the Smoothest featuring Rob Thomas thing ever.
The Summer of Smooth continues unabated, and it appears nothing can stop this catchy Latin rock juggernaut. The internet has given its heart, made it real, and won’t forget about it.
Update: Nicholas Kula, creator of the second “Smooth” shirt you see in this post, tells us he was the progenitor of the joke. His shirt launched in December of last year, making it “the OG.”
“The one everyone’s been passing around is a ‘bootleg,’ haha,” he writes.
It may not have been the most famous version of the shirt, but it was the first, so credit where credit is due.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.