- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
It’s the Summer of “Smooth,” a time when a swirling nexus of irony and nostalgia has opened wide and spewed back a Grammy-winning 1999 hit by Santana ft. Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty. Whether out of snark or genuine fondness, people would rather be listening to “Smooth.”
Look at this damn T-shirt:
It’s “going viral,” and it’s so dope that even Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty himself has retweeted it:
After a lot of searching, we still don’t know where this exact shirt comes from, or who the guy wearing it is. Cori Healey, the hero who tweeted the photo, has not commented.
There are several variations of the tee available, but I couldn’t find one in that exact font and with the printing on the back. Ugh, I would love to own it—instead we’ll have to settle for one of these:
They don’t even have the kicker: “off the multi-platinum album Supernatural.” One design that did, but still isn’t the shirt from the photo, was for sale on Teepublic earlier today.
It appears to have been taken down now.
But at least there’s a mug version of the joke.
And a butt plug. No, seriously. It was created by the dankest butt plug maker on the internet, GlowFYourself.
That is officially the Smoothest featuring Rob Thomas thing ever.
The Summer of Smooth continues unabated, and it appears nothing can stop this catchy Latin rock juggernaut. The internet has given its heart, made it real, and won’t forget about it.
Update: Nicholas Kula, creator of the second “Smooth” shirt you see in this post, tells us he was the progenitor of the joke. His shirt launched in December of last year, making it “the OG.”
“The one everyone’s been passing around is a ‘bootleg,’ haha,” he writes.
It may not have been the most famous version of the shirt, but it was the first, so credit where credit is due.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.