- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash Today 11:51 AM
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo Today 11:39 AM
- After feuding with James Charles, Tati Westbrook angers the YouTube community Today 11:06 AM
- Does Keri Russell’s ‘Rise of Skywalker’ character have an offensive name in Spanish? Today 10:59 AM
- It’s not clear if Ralph Northam is in racist yearbook photo, investigators say Today 10:48 AM
- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
Even Rob Thomas loves the ‘Smooth’ by Santana ft. Rob Thomas meme
Man, it’s a hot one.
It’s the Summer of “Smooth,” a time when a swirling nexus of irony and nostalgia has opened wide and spewed back a Grammy-winning 1999 hit by Santana ft. Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty. Whether out of snark or genuine fondness, people would rather be listening to “Smooth.”
Look at this damn T-shirt:
It’s “going viral,” and it’s so dope that even Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty himself has retweeted it:
After a lot of searching, we still don’t know where this exact shirt comes from, or who the guy wearing it is. Cori Healey, the hero who tweeted the photo, has not commented.
There are several variations of the tee available, but I couldn’t find one in that exact font and with the printing on the back. Ugh, I would love to own it—instead we’ll have to settle for one of these:
They don’t even have the kicker: “off the multi-platinum album Supernatural.” One design that did, but still isn’t the shirt from the photo, was for sale on Teepublic earlier today.
It appears to have been taken down now.
But at least there’s a mug version of the joke.
And a butt plug. No, seriously. It was created by the dankest butt plug maker on the internet, GlowFYourself.
That is officially the Smoothest featuring Rob Thomas thing ever.
The Summer of Smooth continues unabated, and it appears nothing can stop this catchy Latin rock juggernaut. The internet has given its heart, made it real, and won’t forget about it.
Update: Nicholas Kula, creator of the second “Smooth” shirt you see in this post, tells us he was the progenitor of the joke. His shirt launched in December of last year, making it “the OG.”
“The one everyone’s been passing around is a ‘bootleg,’ haha,” he writes.
It may not have been the most famous version of the shirt, but it was the first, so credit where credit is due.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.