- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
The Pokémon Go memes are already here, and they’re spectacular
Gotta meme em all.
If, on your way to work this morning, you see a man staring raptly into his phone while casing the outer rim of your local Dunkin Donuts, it’s highly likely that he’s chasing a Pokémon.
These are gorgeous words we never thought we’d utter in real life. But thanks to the U.S. release of Pokémon Go on Wednesday, the world has a whole new luster. A Charizard could be waiting on the hood of your car, or a Rattatta might be nestled in your desk plant. Your office cafeteria could be a Pokémon gym. And if you have a really cool boss, you might have to battle her Cubone in order to take control of it. Is this real life?
And what happens when you put the rabble of the internet into the real world with (sort of) real Pokémon? Memes, of course.
All this creative loljuice—just in the first 24 hours! But since the game is quickly becoming notorious for its intense battery-draining powers, you have to snap quick and choose wisely. It’s total despair to try to think of dank memes when you’re chained to a power outlet.
Colette Bennett is a writer and editor who specializes in geek culture, beauty products, and Amazon deals. Her work has appeared on CNN, HLN, Engadget, Kotaku, Colourlovers, and Continue Magazine. She's also given talks on working in news for CNN's Leadership Unplugged program. Bennett also runs popular Korean beauty blog Chok Chok Beauty and regularly slathers her face in snail slime.